Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket speedometer & VSS question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGJ, Jun 8, 2003.

1. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I'm looking for an aftermarket speedometer for my 87. What I'm not sure on is the electric/mechanical versions. The factory speedo has a mechanical cable, as well as a plug that goes into the back of the gauge for the VSS. I have yet to find an aftermarket gauge that will work. Anyone have an idea of how to make this setup work with a new gauge? I'm planning on swapping out the dash, so all of the factory stuff has to go.

BIGJ

2. BIGJ

TTT

BIGJ

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well my FACTORY shop manual for my 88 indicates the VSS is behind the speedometer. I just bought a FI system off a 89 to put on my 75. The guy I bought it from I asked him if he could pull the cluster and see if it was a seperate modual. He said he did find a seperat modual and he's shipping it with the system this week.

Now the Cruise control has had a pickup in the speedometer for most of the 80's Maybe that's what plugs into the speedometer. Folow the cable and see if you find another modual.

VDO does sell a electronic speedometer that will run off a VSS. You can also buy a sender for it that will screw into the existing case output. Now what I don't know is if that sender will provide the correct signal to use it as a VSS. From what I read it needs to pulse roughly 2,000 times per mile.

4. BIGJ

OK, I assumed that the wire's tied into the VSS but I'll check them to be sure. Thanks for the info Grim. Anyone else have some ideas?

BIGJ

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Jags that run (JTR) sells different "inline" VSS units that bolt to the transmission that sound like they would work for your application.