Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket Steering Shafts--Anyone running one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OL14BLAZ, Sep 29, 2003.

1. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Looking at replacing worn out steering shaft and getting rid of the oem rag joint. Does anyone on here use either the Borgeson or Flaming River steering shafts? If so are they a good product? Any real world feedback??

Thanks for any opinions or advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Backyardbuilt has told us how to make one from a van steering shaft, so since then, a few guys have done that. If mine ever gets messed up I'll do that.

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When we put my blazer back together we just bought two of the Flaming River u-joint that they sell and hacked off the end of the factory steering shafts and welded on the bottom one the top one just slipped over the top of the steering shaft and is secured with two set screws. you would probably only need one I had to have two because of the extreme angles we were working with. IMO They are good products and I have not had any problems.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i run a borgeson shaft and like it a lot. Easy to install and theres no slop in it... u joints are way better then the factory joint.

j

5. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Dana Spicer sells very small u joints and yokes. I would just buy some solid round stock that fits inside the yokes, weld it together, reuse the ends of the original shafts so it will mate up to the steering wheel and box, then support the steel rod using a heim joint hung from the dash. Cheap and easy.

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Speedway motors www.speedwaymotors.com sells those steering u joints and shafts also if you looking to build one and maybe save some money. Look in their online catalog in the street rod or race car stuff.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a Borgeson one also. They are certainly tighter than an old stocker. I think it is a worthwhile expenditure, although pricey.
    A $300 detroit or a $100 steering box brace is money better spent if don't have those things.
    Determine your priorities...

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a Borgeson one also. They are certainly tighter than an old stocker. I think it is a worthwhile expenditure, although pricey.
    A $300 detroit or a $100 steering box brace is money better spent if don't have those things.
    Determine your priorities...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have both of those, that's why I don't want my steering shaft to be the first thing I break when I finally get back on the trail.

I like Bryan's idea of building my own, I could order some Flaming-River or Spicer Joints and use some really beefy hex stock and have one hell of a steering shaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks guys for all the replies and advice. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run a flaming river unit on the 80 with the vibration dampener built in. Slick as [darn] and tightened up my steering alot.

10. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have what Blk87k5 is talking about but mine runs on a bushing set up at the dash and is bar stock surrounded by tube (barstock slides through the bushings). Randyellisdesign.com built it for me. It utilizes a PTO ujoint. No slop and no tilt or steering "lock" but I do have a removable steering wheel for security.