Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket Tailgates (non OEM)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JoeAngelicchio, Jul 3, 2002.

1. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

For anyone who has installed a non-OEM tailgate (made in Taiwan), how were the tolerances? Not bad or bad? Did you have to work it alot to fit properly? Tailgates in my area (Canada) are $592 cdn for a GM and $292 for an aftermarket one from NAPA.
    Thanks.

2. JoeAngelicchio

JoeAngelicchio 1/2 ton status

TTT. Anybody???? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

my dad bought an aftermarket tailgate from J.C. Whitney. It was for his '79 1/2 ton PICKUP though. It was a pile of garbage. I think that it was made of beer can material. j/k. but honestly, the first time that we put over 150 lbs. on the center of it, it folded right down the middle. It wouldnt even close right after that. In my opinion, OEM parts are the best... if you are able to come by them. I know that i will never buy a tailgate from J.C. Whitney. But that was just my experience.

4. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I have one on my 79 K5 and it did not fit worth a crap at first
    I had to do some cutting on the bedsides and bending on the
    tailgate to get it to close. the metal is ok not as thick OEM, but for $190 what should be expected.....

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I bought a tailgate for my 76 truck. They were something like $450 for a GM and I got one for somewhere around $99 at an autobody supply store. The metal is from Tiwan or something so it isn't as good but it works ok.

Since I had a 76 it was different than all the availble tailgates (77and up). I had to go to a junk yard and get some hinges from a newer truck. They bolt right on no problem.

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Mine is aftermarket. Most of it fit OK. The only thing I had to do was drill a bigger hole in the window regulator cause they didn't match up. It worked fine otherwise. The best thing about it was no rust!