Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermarket windshield gasket

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NuBombs72K5, Aug 21, 2002.

1. NuBombs72K5

NuBombs72K5 1/2 ton status

I'm looking into having my windshield resealed and I'd like have some comments about aftermarket windshield gaskets. The last time I did it, I payed $90 for one from general motors, but I'd like to know if the aftermarket ones are comperable. Any input would be much appreciated.

2. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I bought one in a seal kit from LMC last year. I then had it installed at a local window shop because they had free install with the purchase of a windshield. The fit and appearance was good. There was a little extra rubber in one corner after the install, but the guys were able to use a heat gun to shrink it down and it turned out great. LMC lists the seal at 39.95 for the standard (no chrome seal). One other suggestion I would recommend is to make sure there is no rust behind the seal. If there is I would clean it up and seal the metal under the seal with POR-15. This paint is expensive, but it is not porous so it seals the metal well and they claim that it will not rust again.

3. NuBombs72K5

Thanks for the help. I have no rust in my windshield frame at all. The windshield has only been in for about a year, but I put it in myself and it is leaking pretty good. We fixed the rust problems and primered with epoxy primer. After talking to the pros I think I got the wrong gasket last time. The groove was deep and the chrome would not stay in place. I'm gonna take it to a shop and have them reseal the windshield.

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

how much did u pay for window and everything?? i need my front done due to a crack /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif thanx

NITRO

5. NuBombs72K5

I had a connection on the windshield and payed right at $100. The GM gasket I bought was around $90. Now that it leaks I'll be spending for a new gasket and around $90 for a shop to remove it an reinstall. If I'd just taken it there in the first place I would have been better off.

6. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I paid $40 for the seal at LMC and $125 for the window with free install.

7. NuBombs72K5

That sounds like a pretty good deal. The quote for mine was about $230 for install. I've got the chrome and plan on keeping it. I'm just a little worried about getting a cheap gasket. I'm thinking back to GM or to sofseal.

8. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

You would think windshields and gaskets would be a no brainer but they're not. There are two different styles of chrome trim that take either the deep grove gasket or the shallow grove gasket. New glass is also thinner than the factory original glass. LMC only has the deep grove gasket and the gasket for no trim . The trim for the shallow gasket will not stay in the the deep grove. The guys at the shop that did mine said they thought the LMC gasket looked cheap and may not seal good, I thought they were BS'ing me until they brought out one of the normal gaskets they use from their glass supplier, it was more pliable and did look better. I had them use their gasket and have had no problems for a couple of years.

9. NuBombs72K5

Ahmen. Exactly what happened to me. I've got the chrome that takes the shallow groove gasket. The one I got from GM I believe was the deep groove. I got the chrome in after the windshield, but it is just being squeezed by the gasket, not locked in. The glassman couldn't believe we got the chrome in afterwards. I'm gonna probably try GM again and if I can't get a shallow groove I'll try sofseal. Sometimes you save money doing it yourself and sometimes you just get yourself in trouble. Live and learn. Later.