Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aftermath Post for the UCP Run.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Aug 11, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well we had a great time (I HOPE) and would like to thank everybody who showed up and helped out. There was plenty of carnage this weekend. I'm not going to get into all the details but very few of the trucks came out without damage. Boss tore his up pretty good but is taking it in stride like a true weeler. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Donna took some minor damage in her truck. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Mike used a tree to keep from rolling over. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Ryan sheered a spring pin and broke a shock mount. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Pete did great except the ride home. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif Just Cuz put a t case in at 2am and spent most of Sat. fixing his truck. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I'll let everybody tell there story but all in all we had a great weekend and in about 2 weeks we should have a final tally on what we raised. I will put some of my pics up in just a bit on this post.

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

so im rompin through this 4 ft deep mud pit, totally bottomless...for most people... but my massive ground hawgs came slamming down onto the bottom of the pit like 5...no 8 feet under, and my poor little spring pin couldnt handle the newtons. it just blew up. shrapnel exploded from my spring like pollen spores from a weed. we got her free from the mud pit after i heroically compensated for my loss of steering. and we fixed it... kinda.

and the shock mount...just broke off. i gotta learn to weld. maybe if i spent less time exaggerating

Ryan
    p.s. wayne, thanks for letting me tell my story /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

oh by the way for all those reading...i made it through that pit with all my center pins...

that and i had to tell ryan how to get out of the hole

Later

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Here's my pictures http://chrisd71k5.i8.com/UCP/. I am now accepting donations for a better camera /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

Well, i got home to find out my passanger's side tie rod end is wobbling, my drivers side rear tire needs the bead re-seated, cuz I pinched the sidewall, so it's pissin air My starter completely died (it was on it's way out), and I probably need a tune up (expected too). but I had a great time.. just wished someone caught me almost rolling infont of the land rover guys /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Hehe, gotta show those land rover guys how its done! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

good pics chris...

i might use your one of me coming up the hill as my new sig pic

hopefully your rig can make it up next year so we can see it in action

Later

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hahaha I like the Pictures of "Boss's mobile fender hacking service LOL". What's his Card say...Have Sawzall will hack anywhere" ? LOL
    Great shot!

10. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Yeah...as Wayne said I took minor damage to my truck. First I backed it into a tree. Couldn't see it in my mirror and it just jumped out of the middle of no where. So with that I pushed the rear bumper up and in. It has a very visible crease in it. The molding around therear bumper has a nice chunk missing where I hit the tree. I messed up the pin on the inner nut in the drivers side hub and I will be replacing ujoints in the drive shaft. And we just replaced those a week ago. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif And Wayne about ripped the wiring thingy off. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Thank god the wires them selves were taped up some where else.

I had a blast though. I took my stock K5 through the same mud hole these guys did. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Just not straight through the center. It was incredible. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif My only complaint is that I couldn't do more. Over all, for having a stock truck I was really impressed with what we were able to do. We kept up on the trail with Rebel 88, Tork DSR, Ike,(not sure of his user name) a few others. I was really surprised. Wayne did most of the driving because I had never done any 4 wheeling before. But I really learned a lot. Next year (and yes we will be doing this asa yearly event) I will have 1 tons and bigger tires and be driving on my own. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Here are a few pics of my damage. They are hotlinked to webshots so you will have to copy and paste them into your browser.

This is the crease in the bumper.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/46673457/46675794yiIVlP
    This is the chunk missing from the molding.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/46673457/46675855qXEzvj
    This is what Wayne messed up. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/46673457/46675911wisida

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Wayne:
    I'm going to release the sticky on the sign up and anouncement post since the event is over.

12. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Okay That's fine. thanks for keeping it as a sticky for us.

13. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

14. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

While we are on the subject of Land Rover guy's.....I gotta tell you. At one point on the trail we were heading down the trail and they were heading up the trail. So we had to park some vehicle's on the bypass of the trail to let them through. Well we ended up on the worst side of the by pass. Which had a lot of rocks. We were on 3 wheels at one point. Kinda cool. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif But anyway as we were coming down the guys in the land rovers had there jaws touching the ground. They could not believe that we had a stock K5 out there. One of them was even heard making the comment "look at that ..it has no lift on it." One of the guy's with us even made the comment back..."of corse..it's a K5". I of corse thought this was all really cool. Espically since it was my first time out. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Infact Wayne may even be kicking him self in the ass after this weekend. Because by the end of the weekend, my comment to him was.."I can't wait to make this thing bigger, so that I can go with some of the harder trails." /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

What a blast this weekend was! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    Had a great time and met some really cool people.
    Started off on Friday when Reb88 and his buddy came over to my house and asked me to chop up his fender. No problem there. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    We headed out and met up with 86BlazerK5 halfway. As soon as we got to camp, we swapped out my 35" Streets for 39.5" Meats.
    Setup camp and started drinking with the group. Had fun around the camp.
    Then Saturday, the CARNAGE begins. We all rolled up to Paragon in a single line. Looked pretty cool. Josh (forgot his username here), drove by us, with his Blazer on 44"s, with a video camera taping us...it was funny to see.
    We get there and split up in groups.
    Josh, Mike (forgot his username too) (both blazers on 44"s), Pete (Yunit) and myself rolled with a group of people that had as Jeep willys, Jeep, Blazer on 36"s maybe and another red Blazer on 44"s.
    We headed up to the "M" trail. First we took the "M" trail extension, which was in my opinion, NASTY! This is where all the serious Carnage happened, while the actual "M" trail just finished us off.
    The Willys broke the yoke off his front axle. I believe it was a D44. There was a local junkyard near by where he bought another one and replaced.
    Josh with his Blazer on 44"s and a tricked out suspension had some troubles with his Carb (Holley /forums/images/icons/frown.gif ) bogging out on him. He didn't have enough gears (gears too high), to really get the 44"s moving. It was really cool to see him give it all throttle and boucing around everywhere though.
    Mike with his Blazer on 44"s really made it look easy, even though it was his first time on rocks like this. He made it up with very little problems.
    As I was going up, my rear spring got hung up on a rock and bent. Not pretty.
    [​IMG]

Then got hung up everywhere and backed my rear diff into a rock and the gears poked a hole in the cover and there goes the fluid. I had to winch out and we just puttyed it up and went on.
    Now to the "M" trail. Here's where I took some serious body damage. Trees were killing me here. Seems like the trees were positioned perfectly to take out my top. Now I have an excuse to get a softtop.
    Best memory of this trail, was Mike going of this 4 ft. drop. His truck tilted over and a tree caught his rear quarter to hold him up. He went through the whole trail gracefully like a pro. I was really impressed with his truck! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    At the end of the trail was really rough. Some took the bypass out. I remember trying to think which line I should pick, and then my g/f went up to me and said, I think you should take the bypass out like some others. I was like...Nah!
    The other guys were telling me to take the more "rougher" (less turning, but more rocks) line, so I agreed.
    I remember going down these huge rock ledges and the truck would slam into these boulders. There were some really LOUD bangs. Turns out it was my rock sliders that was saving me! One of my sliders took a major scar /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif (better that then my truck.
    Anyhow, made it out with no probs.
    The Doubler really shined there. It made crawling along soooooo much easier than ever. I literally just tapped the throttle to go up some stuff.
    The hummer beadlocks really shined as well. I had the PSI to ~ 7. The passenger front seemed to lose a lot of air somehow, but never lost a bead.
    Honestly, running 7psi, seemed a little too low. Lost too much clearance and that really hurt me in some situations. It folded over the rocks nicely, and gripped very well, but I think I'll go back up to 10 or 12psi again like in the past.
    Damage I took:
    Rear driver quarter, smashed
    Rear spring bent
    Tire carrier swing, twisted off almost (39.5" was too much for the box tubing)
    Destroyed most poly bushings in my springs.
    Diff cover smashed a hole in
    Both hard top windows, smashed

That's all I can think of for now. All in all I had a blast and it was very nice to drink some beers with the group of people that went. Here are a couple pics I downloaded. Have a bunch more to download later with other trucks too:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Boss

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Holy pop up advertising Batman. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Nice pics though

17. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Eddie, use the one I took of Boss cutting your fenders as your side pic. I just ordered a chip from Jim's Performance in Maryland today, so my junk should be operational by the end of this week. Oh well, 51 more weeks to go /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

This was not a bad ramp for a truck with 4" TC EZ rides up front and stock 52's in the rear with a flip; wait till I swap in the 63's. Then hopefully before the next UCP ride I will be on full coils. I will snap some pics of my quarter panel damage tomorrow. If I had a top on my truck I would have suffered the same braoken windows as Boss did. Pete.
    [​IMG]

19. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Hey for anyone that uses AOSMELL or AIM drop me a IM at <font color="red"> YuNiTiC </font color> . later.

20. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status