Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AFUT Exam HELP!!! Trying to Join the USAF and move to AZ!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rigdonhome, Aug 6, 2003.

1. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

I applied for an engineering position in AZ a while back and they were very impressed with my business qualifications... However, I am a bit too old and too fat for the general requirements that they put on new Officers, which would be part of the deal if I were hired. I have high hopes of getting in with this opportunity, so I want to make sure I am as prepared as possible. It took 2 months to get as far as the 'Screening Test'...

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif Can anyone tell me what the AFUT test is, what it tests FOR, is it all intellectual/skills, is it psych, is it physical fitness??? I need all the help I can get, or a link to a site that gives lots of detail. I'm not so out of shape that I couldn't bust my butt to be in pretty good shape in 2 weeks when I take the exam.

Any other info that I'm not aware of as far as becoming an officer later in life and coming in for my career experience would be helpful too. Are the benefits the same, etc.???

Cheers,
    Scott

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

'Not much help with your questions, two areas of advice from my career in the Army: Weight & Physical fitness.

Weight, or more correctly body fat, bites so many soldiers in-the-ass it's hard to believe. If you're a "big" guy chances are by military standards you're over weight.

Second, Physical fitness: I know the USAF standards a the easiest of the branches and can be met by simple training. But two weeks is not enough time to condition yourself unless you already regularly (3x a week) participate in a physical training program. The testing in the U.S. Army consists of Situps, Pushups, and 2mi run. (I think the USAF only runs 1 mile). Practice these events(or whatever the USAF tests).
    I've watched soldier spend alot of time in the gym only to score poorly during the APFT because they did not practice these events.

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Im in the USAF, we also have to do pushups, situps, and a 2 mile run. Good luck getting in though. They are barelly taking anyone right now cause we have a crapload of officers.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree. Nothing bites people as bad as physical fitness. All that training can be done sitting in front of your tv (seriously) except running, and there is no exercise that compares to running, except running.

Commercial breaks are conveniently close to 2 minutes, doing push ups during one break, and sit ups in another, is a great way to train. So is doing the most you can do, as fast as you can do them, before you crawl into bed.

Don't ever train for the minimum, as you never know what wil happen test day. Sickness, weather, picky grader, can all influence your "score", and can lead to failure.

If the minimum is 42, and thats all you can do, if you have a cold etsting day, your gonna fail.

I've seen people fail PT tests for the Army and Police Departments, and the only excuse is lack of training. (and the police test was EASY!)