Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AG-60 Vs G-9

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, Apr 2, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Hello friends !
    I might to change the glow plugs,but i have a doubt.My truck is a 88´with the electronic glow-plug control unit,(fast-glow), the advised plugs are the AC G-9(6V).My friend Nick (SK-15,forum friend) says the AC AG-60(10.5v)are better than G-9.Is he right?Have i don,t troubles ,if i install this plugs in this sistem?Are really better than G-9?
    Please let me know soon,so i ,ll can go to the parts shop this week.It coming from USA,and delays about seven days to arrive to Spain.Thanks.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

if you still have the automatic glow plug controller id go with something like an 11g. It doesnt heat up as fast as the 9g and doesnt burn out as easily. The 60g is what you get when you make the glow plugs have manual control. Definitely dont get the 9g becuase they burn out much faster from everyone ive heard from. If you do decide to go to manual control, then go with the 60g. Hope this helps.

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

GM used the AC-11G in the newest 6.5 turbo diesel. It's also supposed to perform very well in the 6.2. The guys over at thedieselpage.com recommend the AC-11G for the Lucas/CAV-11G. They've not really fully tested the Lucas variety but won't hesitate to recommend the 11G variety. Regardless of what brand you use, MAKE SURE it's the 11G variety. The 9G variety will burn out too easily.

4. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Well,how many volts the AG-60 has?Somebody has these plugs in his 6.2 with the electronic FAST-GLOW?

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why not get the AG-60s and install a manual switch? You will know they are on, you will be in control of them. You also don't have to worry about the controller failing because you have <big drum roll>...THE SWITCH!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

6. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Well,i,m in a really doubt!! Ag-60, AC 11-G,Manual switch....
    how is a manual switch?A bridge betwee the two controller big harness with a switch between of them?
    How many volts the AC G-11 has?Thanks.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The manual switch should not be hard to hook up. Take a jumper wire from the glow plug relay that is on the drivers side...the thing that "clicks" from the blue post...don't unplug anything...to a ground. Leave the key ON but not running. You should hear the relay click. All you need is to run a cable from that blue post area to the switch and the other side of the switch to a ground. You now have manual control of your glow plugs. I would get the 60s even if I wasn't going to manual control. I ran WITHOUT manual control for a month WITH AG-60s.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

8. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I couldn't get in to the coloradok5 server last night. It kept denying me access.
    Glow plugs really don't have a "voltage" rating. Instead, they have a "heat" rating. Since glow plugs have to provide heat, they are rated by how long they take to reach maximum heat. The early glow controller you have, like mine, is preset to initially heat the plugs somewhere near 20 seconds. That's about how long it takes to for the AC11g to reach full temp. That's how it was designed. After the initial 20 heat, the controller cycles only to keep the glow plug near max heat so there will be enough heat given off by the plug to help begin the pre-ignition process and so the plug won't burn out. Your best bet is just to replace the glow plugs with what was previously installed. The glow plug type should be stamped somewhere on the plug, usually on the hex. The AC11g is the accepted and recommended replacement because that's what came with the 6.2 from the factory. The glow controller is preset to the AC11g's so they will reach max heat during initial heat up and maintain most of full heat during cycling.
    Don't get AC9. Stay away from AC9's. They have been tested and have burned out and broken in the time it takes the 6.2 controller to heat them. Do not use AC9 plugs.
    Stick with the AC11g.
    I hope this has been some help to you.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by NewK5Guy on 04/04/01 04:09 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Earlier controller?Your car is a 84´and mine is a 88´are differents controller sistems....

10. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

They aren't that different. I have the tech manual that explains them in detail. Plus, the principle is the same.