Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Age old question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Mar 17, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What should I do?

Just got a sizeable chunk of money. As well as putting some back in savings, and buying my wife a plane ticket to get back home for a funeral, I have about $500 left over. What should I do with it? Choices are above in a poll. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey you guys can reply too...tell me why?

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'd go with option 1, unless you really, really have a good use for a tube bender and are sure you can make some money using it.

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well i have 120' of 1.75 tubing in my floor and plans to build bumpers, sliders, and a cage, but no bender. I also have a couple of friends that are in need of cage work, so I could probably just let them use it for a small fee or something.

On the other hand, I really want a lockright for this badlands trip coming up. Having a locked frontend would be so nice on the orange trail! hehe /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Lock-right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Bender, always buy tools, you always need them! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

gotta tell ya, i'm leaning toward the bender at this point...

L/R would be nice, but tools can make a lot of stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bender...then make the bender pay for a locker down the road, either by selling what you make or by charging a small fee to friends that want to use it.

Then get a Detroit instead of the pop right. After seeing Russ's pop right go south on him at Moab I'm saving for a Detroit now. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

9. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

I say CARC paint... the lock-right is just a slight bonus...

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Really? All the midwest guys are running a lockright with 42s! I'm just running measly 35's and my next set will be 36's...that D60 lockright is HUGE. What was he doing? However, my plan once this body is beat to crap, is getting a tow rig again, and using all my running gear to build a buggy, and I'm not going to want a buggy with 36's...

I'm really leaning hard toward the bender. I enjoy metal fab so much, it's kinda hard to back away from getting tools.

11. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

buy the bender make your stuff then sell it for a lockright. or get the bender and make some crazy piece of art with it and sell that to get a lockright.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

bender hands down /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Bender...the gift that keeps on giving! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

At the time, I was running Upper Hell in Moab (second time on that Lock Rite). It also survived multiple runs on some pretty tough trails in Phoenix. And I've got friends that have run them for years, harder than I run mine, and they are still running them (that's what convinced me initially). Matt has run one on that heavy Ford with 42s since 98 or so. Beck runs one with 42s in the ORD green truggy. Fred runs one too. And on and on.

But, as usual, anything that can go wrong will go wrong when your talking about my stuff. Check my title, it says "SOL" for a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif After pretty much ruining my BB03 trip, I switched to a Detroit that Stephen graciously had brought to me in Moab on the off chance that we could figure out a way to swap it there. Didn't happen, but it went in as soon as I got home. No more Lock Rites for me, and I no longer recommend them even though many "get lucky" with them.

15. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

A bender for sure. Cause you know you want to fab some stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just want to see a pic of you and Dan bending tube in his driveway while it's snowing and 20 degrees outside /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

BIGJ

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Russ and I have an unofficial SOL contest going...so I just know if I try a Lock-Right I'll end up with the same results. Upper Hell didn't do that locker any good...but it completely crapped out on Pritchett...eventually getting so bad it was worse than being open up front. In fact Russ asked to 'borrow' my open D60 guts at one point (right after I killed my rear driveshaft.)

Anyways, for the $200 difference I am gonna go with a Detroit up front when the time comes.

rene

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Russ broke a Spicer life series u joint and a 35 spline stub.

I'd go for the lock right and fit the bender in if possible.

18. Kyburbn

Kyburbn Registered Member

Why CARC paint? The bender would serve a ton more uses and CARC is not fun to mess with. What you do if you want the same colors is get a chip of CARC and have a paint shop match it with normal paint.

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well the CARC paint isn't huge. It's only about $100 all said and done. But as to why...It's bullet tough on rocks and doesn't chip off like regular paint. Plus I like the flat sand color and it doesn't show dents like glossy!!!

Tim- 10-4...I've got some other things in mind, but I think first order of business is get the cash working for me, either with a bender, or buying/selling some stuff...

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I said bender but $500 is going to close. That will cover the bender & one die, but nothing more.