Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aggressive Firestone Off Road Tires...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Oct 5, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm needing a 39.5" spare and an off road shop close to home has "a very aggressive firestone that's in good shape, they were very popular in the early 90's" I have no idea what the tread looks like or what the tire looks like for that matter. Apparently it's a tire specifically for light trucks, not an ag. tire.

I've searched lots for pictures but can't come up with anything. Does anybody know about firestone producing a serious off road tire in the 90's? I'm supposed to go get it on Saturday and would like a little info on it before I commit to buying it.

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I *think* that Firestone made a mud tire that looked almost identical to the Ground Hawg, but have no idea what it was called.

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well, I had a couple of friends that ran Firestones in the mid to late 80's. It could be the same tire. I'm crunching my brain, and I believe the were called

Firestone ATX's. (or something close to that)

They were actually a pretty good tire. Not too sure how they would stack up today .. but they we're pretty aggressive. The pattern wasn't really aground hawg, it was actually much better than that. One friend had a set of 33's, and another had a set of (I think) 39's (or so).

If you get them, take a pic. I'm curious to see that tread design again if it's the same tire. :thumb: It's been a few years since I've seen one. One of the guys that had them, his father worked for Firestone, so he always ran them, since he got a deal.

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

5. txfiremank5

6. txfiremank5

Now that I think of it.... I have some old truck traders from 1986 :crazy: (don't ask my why I still have them). My buddy with the 39's had his for sale, and I think I can find a pic of it with them. If so, I'll post it later.

Might take me a while.. I have a bunch... some from 90, 91,92 ... :doah: :haha:

Freakin' pack rats! :rolleyes:

7. txfiremank5

I found the truck, but the pic is not the best. Ypu can at least see that the tires are a typical aggressive tread .. at least the shoulder lugs. I think he took a better pic, for another issue.. I'll see if it shows it better. If so I'll post. Straight up vintage 1986 pic to follow.. :haha:

cliffs truck.jpg

8. mikey_d05

Aggressive shoulders, looks to be in the 38-40 range....I'm likin it. I just called and asked 'em to hold the tire and see if they could find a 15" 8 lug rim. I should have pictures Saturday :D

9. txfiremank5

I didn't find another pic of my buddys truck. But I did see a K5 I liked back then, (see the red marks :D ) and noticed it too sported some Firestones on it. The sidewall on them says, "firestone all terrain T/X". I'm not sure if there were 2 versions as in MT & AT. The tread on this one looks slightly different, although it too is hard to see. But, i guess it could be the same, and the pic is just making it look different. Anyway .. another Chevy from the dark ages.. :p:

" 4" lift, w/ 8" body lift" ????? :eek1: :haha: :rolleyes: :p: :D :crazy:

other truck.jpg

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I dont have a good pic.. never bothered when I was younger...

however I had Firestone 23 degree mud tread. that is what they were called.. and were also radial.. $180 each.. they rode sweet and flung the goo like you wouldnt believe.. If I had to run 33's again id be getting firestones.. their new discovery mt's nice tires... or hell 33" boggers or hawgs :bow:
    you can see the 23o (o for degree) on the tire.. and maybe in 1 of them pics see the tread pattern...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I use to run 33" Firestone Firehawk ATX's. I liked them but they got tore up and I couldn't find them anymore

12. mikey_d05

Well, I got the tire this weekend and it is an All Terrain T/X in pretty decent shape. You guys like my fancy custom holder? :haha:

SUC50029.JPG

SUC50030.JPG

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Wow brakes on the tire in the bed. Very nice. You need to groove thos tires asap.

14. mikey_d05

A slightly better pic of said tire... :D

SUC50034.JPG

15. txfiremank5

:D That's exactly the tire my buddys ran, and the one I was thinking of. That's a blast from the past there.. right out of 84-86 .. :eek1: :thumb:

I don't remember the center tread being solid... so I think it only is because of the wear. If I remember it would normally have some grooves across it. But, it will work for a spare. ;)

Thanks for the pics :waytogo: it's been a loooooong time since I have seen that tread. That to me is like looking at an old yearbook! :bow: