Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR PS Cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mnstr_fx, Feb 18, 2002.

1. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I finally got the big truck running and have been noticing that the power steering fluid gets pretty hot. The system is an AGR Rock Ram which I bought last fall. (I know, I know, but the West Texas Post was not up yet and I did not know about them!!!!!)

Anyway, is anyone out there running a power steering cooler, especially if it is attached to an AGR Rock Ram. I have added fluid so that it is at the Full Cold mark, then noticed after a while of driving, that the level has gone over full and burped it out on the frame. THERE IS NO AIR IN THE SYSTEM. I already went through that with the AGR guy many times. Just wondering what everybody elses experience has been with this system.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

The fluid level will always change more with a hydro assist setup so this may be your overflow problems. You might try just leaving the level low and see if it continues to overflow. you might try checking the level with the ram completely closed.
    Of coarse I'd always recommend running a cooler. It will always help out. Just remember to run it on the low pressure return line.
    Hope I helped and let me know if you have any more questions

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TheLakeRat on 02/18/02 11:38 PM.</FONT></P>

3. mnstr_fx

Any type / brands of coolers that would be recommended for the power steering circuit? I planned on putting one in right after the box on the return side. This could be done with a few pieces of rubber hose and some hose clamps.

90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I just used a medium sized tranny cooler. Connected it with some rubber hose on the low pressure side. I'm not running a rock ram, but I like to have all fluids cool.[​IMG]

John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I'll second what John said. I'm not running hydraulic steering, but am running a HydroBoost system, so went with a cooler and may run a filter inline as well.

FWIW, I like the style that's sold by '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI

6. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I RUN THE ROCK RAM AND THE A.G.R. PUMP AND BOX AND I USE MATT'S COOLER FROM A.G.R. IT RUNS PRETTY GOOD LIKE THAT. I ALL SO USE ROYAL PURPLE P/S FLUID IT SEEMS TO WORK THE BEST.

I'AM NOT YELLING I JUST HATE THAT DAMM SHIFT BUTTON

7. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Mount your new cooler on the return line and make sure cooler itself is NOT mounted above pump. You can use a gas tank filler neck off a toyota/nissan to extend the stock filler neck to hold 1/2 quart more synthetic fluid and help with overflow problems

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I run a 15K gvw tranny cooler as my PS cooler. I did run a small Perma-cooler PS cooler, but it was too small to cool my hot running AGR stuff.
    I also put in a remote Reservoire for the over flow problems that you have.
    Yes, mount the cooler as low as possible.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend using the B &amp; M coolers for your PS cooler. Yes, they're good for Trannys (I run a B &amp; M 24K tranny cooler for my tranny), but too much air will get trapped up in there.....it will be very hard to bleed the system with that cooler....stick with the simple tubed/finned cooler.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

9. mnstr_fx

Thanks for the good information guys. This is what I was looking for. BTW, my pump has the shorty extension which comes with the AGR kit already attached. I think that the added capacity of the cooler and the fact that it is cooler oil will all help.

90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler