Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR steering box funny noise and stiff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MaxCrack, Jul 1, 2002.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I recently put in the AGR steering box for crossover steering. As I had other stuff going on also, I just took the truck out for a test drive this morning. It makes a really strange whiny/grindy noise and it is very stiff, almost like it does not have enough fluid pumping through it. Anyone else have this problem with a steering box swap?

How do I get all the air out? I thought I was just supposed to cycle the steering several times and add fluid as needed. Is that right? Do I just need to keep driving and adding fluid until it feels right? Is there anything I can adjust?

Besides being stiff and noisy it works great. No bump steer, no slop and very responsive (to a strong input), meaning the tires turn further with less steering wheel turn. I don't even mind the slightly stiff steering, although it should be easier, I just want to get rid of the noise.

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

put the front axles up on jackstands and cycle the steering like 40 times or more thats ow u get all the air out . your pump may be shot now that u maybe ran it eith not enuff fluid . just my guesses. my agr box is stiff too .

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Fill it up(over fill) and drive it awhile and turn it from side to side lock to lock. Then turn it off let it set the fluid will over flow and it's ok. Top it back off after it cools all the way down then go drive it. This should help this system is real hard to get all the air out and could make a little noise for a day or two. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif