Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR steering box funny noise and stiff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, Jul 1, 2002.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I recently put in the AGR steering box for crossover steering. As I had other stuff going on also, I just took the truck out for a test drive this morning. It makes a really strange whiny/grindy noise and it is very stiff, almost like it does not have enough fluid pumping through it. Anyone else have this problem with a steering box swap?

How do I get all the air out? I thought I was just supposed to cycle the steering several times and add fluid as needed. Is that right? Do I just need to keep driving and adding fluid until it feels right? Is there anything I can adjust?

Besides being stiff and noisy it works great. No bump steer, no slop and very responsive (to a strong input), meaning the tires turn further with less steering wheel turn. I don't even mind the slightly stiff steering, although it should be easier, I just want to get rid of the noise.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Jack the front wheels off the ground to bleed it. Add fluid, turn back and forth, add more, and keep doing that until its full.

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I bought an AGR box last year and unlike many others thank GOD, i've had no problems. Except when pulling away from a stop while making a tight turn , there's a slight whine from what i think is the new AGR pump but could be the box. doesn't seem like its hurting anything, is this the problem sound your having?

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Thanks. That fixed it. I cycled the steering many many times. Turned it off and filled the pump and let it sit while the bubbles disappeared and repeated several times.