Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR steering box worth the money?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Silv4x4, Dec 22, 2002.

1. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

I'm gonna need to replace the steering box on my 79 and I am considering getting an AGR box. Just wondering if anyone is using one and if you think it is worth the extra $ /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif?

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Plain and simple WTO is the only place you need go too for a new steering gear box IMO. The service and price can't be beat!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

No.....mine isn't a LEAKER
    but it just stops working when making left hand turns.

I'm goin'with WTO next time.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nope. West Texas Off road is cheaper and seems to have a better product.

5. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the shameless plugs guys.
    79silv4x4,
    AGR will just send you a box just like the on eyou have now but silver. I personally wouldn't waste your money. You can just buy a reman at a local parts store or you can send it to me and I'll rebiuld it for $100 or you can even upgrade to hydro assist.
    Whichever way you go i'll be glad to help but even if you don't buy from me don't waste your money on AGR. It's not worth it.

6. 79Silv4x4

79Silv4x4 Registered Member

Thanks Matt, I'll be sending mine to you in a couple of weeks--how long is the turnaround time on a basic rebuild?

7. TheLakeRat

No problem, glad to help.
    Normal turn around time is 2 to 4 days. With Christmas coming up it might take a litlle longer

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Not trying to rob a post here, but since it is a related subject I figure I might as well ask here. I am going to be doing a D60 install with the crossover steering, unfortunately I already have purchased an AGR box with the ram assist ready. How much will it cost me for the rest of the components to do the ram assist, ( ram, hoses, brackets ) ?

9. TheLakeRat

I'm not sure off the top of my head but it think that all the rest of the stuff that you will need will be $250.
    I'd have to ask Lisa at the shop.

10. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

AGR /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    WTO would be a better choice.

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY! GROUP BUY! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm with Scott.....both in lamenting my choice of AGR over what I could have gotten from Matt, and in the desire for the ram-parts to complete the hydro conversion on my pre-drilled steering box.

For the record, it's not that I'm unhappy with my AGR box....it's just that for the same money, I could have gotten a LOT more from Matt, and after meeting him in Moab and realizing that he's one of the "good guys"....I'd have much rather given my business to him, and not some faceless corporation.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif