Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR Steering Box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jimmy4matt, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

Anyone using an AGR steering box? The two front bolts broke off in my in the box of my '71 Jimmy giving it the reverse NASCAR setup. I broke my biggest tap trying to get the bolts out, got pissed, and ordered an AGR box from Summit.[​IMG]

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have heard agr sucks now . most guys go texas offroad. thay say he is good and good parts. found out in lots of threds

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

West Texas has problems too. A good friend of mine has had 5 or 6 West Texas offroad 1.5" hydro rams and they have all leaked. Matt try's to take care of the problem but he still hasn't cured the problems with his 1.5" rams from what I have been told.

AGR sucks a bag from what I have read about them lately.

Harley

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ya we all have bugs somtimes. i droped a email 2-3 months ago to agr and still no reply. guess i wont buy there crap.!!

5. Jimmy4matt

Jimmy4matt Registered Member

Now I'm worried. What seems to be going wrong with these products? The AGR box sounded like it would be better than buying a rebuilt stock one?:frown1:

6. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

i have had one on my truck for three years now, no problems here.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i put an agr on mine this past summer, no complaints, much better than the stocker I had on there that leaked a quart of fluid every 2 days and had an entire turn of slop in it.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Not to beat a dead horse, but did you do a search here in the forums? There have been extensive articles about AGR. If you go to pirate, you will also find many articles about AGR. I went with PSC and I recommend them. The owner is the prior owner of AGR when they were good. http://www.pscpowersteer.com/

9. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On my race truck I use Tommy Lee gear. Another is Howe. Both do a better job finding suitable cores. A little more expensive than agr, but the quality is the best. Both companies are in So. Cal. Between them, they do almost all the off road racers.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I put an AGR box on my truck a couple of years ago and have had zero problems.....

It's basically just a stock box with some fancy machined covers, so don't be fooled into thinking it's some innovative "new" design. They've certainly had their share of critics for quality issues, and their customer service is bad enough that some vendors I know won't even resell them anymore.

If you can find a company that's willing to stand behind it's product, you've probably found the right source for your new steering box. :cool1: