Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR Steering Boxes and Pumps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 10, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I used to have a '76 Blazer, and bought a AGR pump and box for it. The '76 is gone but now I have a '79. Online the boxes are for '68-'76 and '77-'79. What were the differences? Can I still use it? If not it will be for sale soon (or if it is going to be a pain to get whatever I need to adapt the two).

Also, this is from the listing:
    "S Box - S Series Designed for the Off-road enthusiast who wants to reduce their steering effort. These steering boxes are manufactured with light valving and 20:1 ratio to obtain maximum power assist with less effort from the driver.

NOTE: This steering gear is not recommended for short wheel base vehicles at highway speeds. This box turns very easily and over correction can occur in emergency maneuvers."

This may sounds stupid, but they don't consider a Blazer a short wheelbase vehicle do they? I wasn't sure if they were talking about a Jeep in relation to a real truck (Blazer/Pickup) or if they are talking about a Blazer in relation to a Pickup.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

blazer is cosidered short wheelbase.
    i might be wrong but i think the difference between the two boxes is the fitting. they switched from stanard to metric. thought that was in the 80's tho.

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

On AGR's site it says "Short wheel-base Jeep CJ's, TJ's and similar sized vehicles should consider the SB2 box if driven at highway speeds." Anyone know the wheelbases of a CJ, a Blazer (106"?) and Pickup off the top of their heads?

Does anyone have a K5 with a SuperBox1 in it that uses it as a DailyDriver?

4. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

So if I have the whole setup from the '76 (new AGR box, new AGR pump, and '76's lines) I should be good to go?

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

ToTheTop.

Anyone want to chime in?

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yes, you should be fine