Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR steering boxes, are they really better?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Apr 13, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I am gaterhing parts for my Mid-May Wrench-a-thon, and need a 2WD box for the x-over conversion. Obviously the junk yard cores are a dime a dozen, but the AGR's run about $400.

Is that cost justified? Are they really *that* much better? I don't plan to use the rock ram, either.

Suggestions, comments, rants apprecaited!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

In 1 word, NO. 99% of they people that have them had nothing but problems with them, not to mention their customer service.

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

I would go with Lee's Manufacturing steering box. They do a ton of the Score and Corr truck steering boxes and they are pretty reasonable. The cost I think was around $210 and to up grade to a different torsion bar and valves it cost $65. I will get you the phone# Monday

4. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

if i remember correctly. west texas offroad is offering members a discount here, also the shop foreman shows up posting in the forums sometimes

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, now that ORD is repping them I feel the support will be there...............figures I'd say that, I just bought a barely used AGR box for $75 for my crossover............/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

oh, just *RUB* it in!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Zakk,

The only thing that's got me thinking AGR for my own rig (eventually) is the availability of the variable ratio box they've got.....it gives you a milder ratio for "on street" driving but as the wheel starts to turn more to the extreme ends, the ratio gets a lot "quicker".

I guess that if you buy a "fixed ratio" box that's qucker than stock....it tends to feel "darty" on the highway....small movements of the wheel tend to make the truck really shift around in it's lane......I think that would get OLD in a hurry!!

All this being said, I don't know if there are other options out there for "variable ratio" boxes that would do what I'll need. It's one of those areas that I haven't fully researched because it's TOO far down on my project list!!! Just wanted to give you some additional things to consider in case they are important to your decision making also.

HOOTUS.

-Greg

9. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

NO!!! AGR boxes are just over the counter boxes. There is nothing different about the boxes that they sell.
    The only thing you MIGHT get is a stiffer or weaker assist valve body. But this does not have any effect on over all power, only on the way it feels to you.
    If you want a variable ratio box from the pick and pull then take a 9/16 wrench and a small hammer with you. Remove the 4 bolts on top of the box and then tap up on the pitmanshaft about 1/4" and then rotate the top housing 180 degrees so that you can see the 3 teeth inside on the shaft. if the teeth are all the same length then it is a not variable ratio and if it has 1 longer tooth in the middle with a shorter one on each side then it is variable ratio.
    For an easier reference, most 3 1/4 turn boxes are variable ratio and most 4 1/4 turn boxes are not. but this is not always true.

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

hey, lakerat, you guys offer us ck5 members a deal, don't you, even more if we are from texas, right?

11. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Yeah CK5 members do get a discount. and if you come down to the mud bogs this weekend since your already in Texas i'll give you an even better deal.