Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AGR Steering Boxes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr3269, Aug 5, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I just noticed the junkyard steering box i bought for the Jimmy is leaking pretty bad, so i decided to go w/ a new unit from agr, but which 1? They have 2, a street and an offroad box. The offroad one has a 12:1 ratio, and the street one has a variable 13-17:1, the offroad being more responsive than the street unit. I do drive about 50/50 on and offroad, but only locally on pavement. I was told the offroad unit will cause dangerous highway driving. Whaddya guys think? Thanx in advance. Roostr

2. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I've got the one with 12:1 ratio. It has been awesome so far, I've had it for a couple months

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Get the 12:1 the offroad box. That is what I also have. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. roostr3269

Okay then, I think thats the way i will go, Do u guys do much highway drivin? How does it handle on pavement? thanx for the replies.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The 12:1 box is just going to be a bit more "twitchy" on the freeway. So long as you aren't driving while talking on the phone with coffee between your legs while smokin a cig and tuning the radio you'll be fine. Just have to pay attention to what you're doing. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif </font color>

6. roostr3269

Thanx Shaggy for the input. My real concern is the wife driving on the road. I guess i will have to get her some practice offroad, thanx again.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

A smaller than stock diameter steering wheel will also "quicken" your ratio....so combining a small wheel with the 12:1 box might be more than you bargained for!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I drive my truck on the street &amp; highway so I went with the variable ratio box, and a 1.5" smaller diameter wheel....my truck is in pieces right now, but I can let you know how it behaves when/if it ever gets back together....!!!

8. roostr3269

Sounds good greg, keep me posted, thanx.

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the 13-17:1, I installed the 2wd version when I did my crossover steering, I'm pretty happy, I'm also using a stock pump. It drives great on the freeway and no problems offroad. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif