Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ah, life crowbarring in the fact I'm not all THAT smart (K5 won't start)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Ah, life crowbarring in the fact I\'m not all THAT smart (K5 won\'t start)

Hmmm, K5 has various small problems, but what is bothering me is intital startup. One morning I go out, start it, well try, I have to really turn the key like some demented nipple fetish man, and right at the end of the travel of the key, it would start. So three dasy later it wont start at all.

Anyway, any ideas?

What would really help is a quick basic description of the wires from the key/switch to the starter. What wires go to the starter and such. Like keyed on to the key then to the starter and a wire from the starter to the battery and a ground maybe, whatever. I assume a starter works on a relay from the key, turn the jey, activates relay relay allows large red cable to make the truck go vroom..... maybe the starter grounds to the black, ahhhhhh

Yeah, I can swap axles and hack me up a flatbed, but I don;t know how a starter works.... poor me /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If I figure out the wiring maybe I can rig up some wierd push button starter for now, that is if the ignition switch is whats bad.

I assume the relay/solenoid is the other thing that can go bad

Also, any benifits with a remote solenoid? All I know is I can jumpstart 1976 F150 with a pair of pliers

Thank you very much

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Ah, life crowbarring in the fact I\'m not all THAT smart (K5 won\'t start)

If you needed to turn the key harder, it would seem that an electrical problem is not the cause. My bet would be the ignition switch down at the base of the column (in the cab) needs to be adjusted a little bit.

(metal rod goes down the column from the upper part, which is what the key turns, and slips into the ignition switch. When the key is turned, it pushes/pulls that rod, which moves the ignition switch contact.)

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds liek bad switch to me, wire from switch goes to relay, no relay is involved, the relay is the solenoid itself

12V from the switch closes the circuit from battery + to the starter motor- at/through the solenoid, you can jump an ac delco solenoid with just a screwdriver or similar, all yo have to do is jump the S terminal to the + cable terminal

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

If you want a pushbutton, it is pretty straightforward to install one. You should have two wires going to the starter solenoid, your main cable to the positive terminal on the battery, and a small wire that goes to the ignition switch. All you need to do is disconnect the small wire from the solenoid. Get a pushbutton switch, it should have two terminals, connect one to a 12V source (preferably only on when the key is on) and connect the other to the starter solenoid (the same terminal that you disconnected the wire from earlier). This way all you have to do is turn on the key, and hit the pushbutton.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stick your head under the dash and look up at the column. There's a plastic box with a little metal rod going to it and a bunch of wires to get frustrated at. Chances are you need to adjust it if it isn't broken. When they break they usually blow the back side of them out. Adjustment is simple, you'll figure it out as soon as you look at it.

Do you have tilt steering?

6. Resurrection_Joe

Hey thanks for the quick replies, especially wrath, becasue I really only kinda know him and none of the rest of you... yeah...

Anyway, I'll go look at the little rods and such, possibly get my fatty self stuck under the dash, if all of that fails, it's mad max pushbutton time

Additional question, how, if at all, is the wire that keeps the truck running involved. I remeber I hacked into an unknown wire once installig a head unit and I had to turn the stereo off to kill the truck ( I had the head unit on a switch)

Anyway, thanks again!

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know much about the wiring to turn the truck off, but you can always wire a kill switch in. Put a toggle switch inline with the coil power wire. This will kill the power to your ignition system and effectively kill the motor.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Hey everything is just like you guys said, the little rod took some dash dissasembly to find, but when I did find it, I cranked the key all the wayy, pulled it a bit farther, and whammo, broken exhaust, barely has reverse, full of parts for the other truck K5 haul it's sorry soul back to life (to wax poetic here)

So how will I go about adjusting this rod, or should I do the $10 pushbutton starter thing? I like the idea of a groovy pushbutton! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. CyberSniper

If I can get my fat body under the dash, you certainly can. You can adjust the switch by sliding it up and down the steering column. I can't remember if there is a screw that locks it in place or if you just crimp the metal back down.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, the direction you move the switch depends on if you have tilt steering or not. Tilt steering has an ingenius way of making that rod move but it requires the ignition switch to be flipped 180°. Anyway, move it in the direction that it happens to work in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you tell me if you have tilt or not I'll go crawl my fat butt under the dash in the 21° 1ight wind we're actually having today.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Ah, life crowbarring in the fact I\'m not all THAT smart (K5 won\'t start

Worse come to worse, just swap steering colume. Yes, it's the lazyman man's way, but it works. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Resurrection_Joe

Well I tore all the bezel and panels off and I can start it with some pliers on the rod, but the key is all loose and doppy, I think Imma go with a pushbutton, as I THINK the key will still run the accesories, but I believe I broke whatever hooks the key to the rod.

<font color="green"> YES I HAVE TILT</font>

Heres a question though, what controls the shift lockout? I dunno if that will become a problem

Any help on how to set up a pushbutton kill ( and possibly )kill switch system ?

Thanks!

12. CyberSniper

There is a wimpy piece of cast junk metal (I don't even think it's aluminum) that operates the ignition switch rod between the rod and the ignition switch. I ended up tearing apart my whole column to fix it. There are little tools for disassembling the pins in the side of the steering column that you can buy at CarQuest.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=838508

As far as the locking part, that is handled in the cylinder itself.

As far as the ignition wire, I believe it's either purple or white. I'll look in my manual later for you. I'm trying to cook and do other stuff at the moment.

13. Resurrection_Joe

Thanks

I owe ya one.... need some hubs? 14BFF maybe? D44 to go with it? Get it out of my yard eh?

Hahahaha, thanks man

14. CyberSniper

How about a promise that you'll never quit offroading? haha.

Anyway, out of the ignition switch comes a pink wire and a purple with white tracer wire. The purple with white tracer wire comes out of the ignition switch then goes to a neutral safety switch (or a clutch pedal switch) and then becomes a purple wire and goes down to the starter to energize the starter solenoid.

The pink wire is the one that is needed to power the ignition control module in the distributor if I remember correctly.

Hopefully Dorian or somebody can back me up on this.