Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Aha, the mysterious brakes don't work ??? ***Updated***

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, Aug 5, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

Aha, the mysterious brakes don\'t work ??? ***Updated***

Put the 10/12 bolts out of K5 under K30, and this is where the problem begins......my rear brakes are NON-EXISTENT, which is strange, because I rebuilt them not long ago, and up until the swap, they worked great! I see two possible problems..
    1. also swapped master cylinders out of vehicles(K5 has 1 ton, K30 has 1/2 ton cylinder. would having the lines switched cause this????
    2. There is a little "thingy" the rear lines go to and there was some kind of bracket that just attached to the 14bff originally. Would eliminating the "bracket" cause this????
    What's my problem???

***Bypassed the "bias valve" thingy /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif the bracket goes to, and it didn't seem to make much difference. Does the E-brake have to be adjusted first??? I thought you got the brakes good and then did the E-brake, but /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif***

Thanks
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifBrandon

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Re: Aha, the mysterious brakes don\'t work ???

2. I forget he technical term for that bracket, but basically, it adjusts the brake bias (front to rear) based upon how much of a load is placed on the rear of the truck. Like if its got a heavy load will place more braking on the front or rear (cant remember which way it goes). But if you didnt hook it up, it may be sending all the braking force to the front.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I forget he technical term for that bracket, but basically, it adjusts the brake bias (front to rear) based upon how much of a load is placed on the rear of the truck. Like if its got a heavy load will place more braking on the front or rear (cant remember which way it goes). But if you didnt hook it up, it may be sending all the braking force to the front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

John

4. txfireman110

ttt /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Re: Aha, the mysterious brakes don\'t work ??? ***Updated***

small chance..
    but a few other members and my self mounted our calipers on the wrong sides, it in turn puts the beader screw all wrong and ya get no breaks... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

other thought is your diaphrame is out on the booster, see if you also have vaccume going to it?

Listin for a hiss or air sound when you press the pedal,

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. txfireman110

supersize75k5.....
    don't have discs, just the old drums (recently rebuilt), and I put a new master cylinder on it to drive it to the shop so it has less than 100 miles on it and worked great before axle swap.

I'll check the vaccum booster!!

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Adjust Ebrake first.. That is the star adjuster at the bottom. A slight drag is what you want.

John