Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHGJFJLSUYIDIUYSDM<NMN<B<MMMMM

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 19, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The year: 1920
    The Place: Somewhere remote to the teeming city of New York
    The situation: Build a house as complicated as possible behind the walls

Plaster!
    WAX wrapped wiring!
    Blown in insulation!
    Crawl spaces!
    Dust!
    Lath!
    WIFE!

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Doing some home improvements? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

But just think, that is YOUR plaster, insulation, wiring, etc. I would love to be in your shoes..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Good point, Blaze...

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

hahaha, you made that bed now sleep in it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    You now own it, so kick its a$$! You will be sittin' back before you know it sippin' on a beverage, sayin' that wasn't so bad..... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Holy cow JINKS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. Mine was built in 1907. I've redone the kitchen, garage, bedroom, laundry room, added an addition, new windows and siding. Finishing the bathroom soon and rewire the rest of the house. (Already started)

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's fun aint it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have a kitchen remodel coming up in the next few weeks for a local realestate agent. I was talking about the quote with her the other day and it was coming out to like 28 grand or so and she's like, no it's ok I've been putting away 5 or 10 thousand away for the kitchen /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. I felt like saying, do you need an adopted son? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

But anyway, her house was built around 1917 and she had her brother go through and gut the kitchen already. I walked in an 23 of the studs were 3/4 gone with termites. Oh what fun that will be to replace...

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, half the cieling is up, we're finally finishing that tomorrow. It was supposed to be cut and dry, in and out, done and finished monday afternoon... I'm 99% prepared for the new recessed light fixtures, just running some new wire n a few mnutes.

My multimeter went haywire today. I'm testing a circuit that's supposed to be off, and it's reading 4 volts, then 1 volt, and up and down like that, then I test a known good 110 outlet, and get the same 4 volts... Wiring figuring took like 3 or 4 hours yesterday, then wiring doing was even worse. I still don't know where a couple wires go...

Still, when it's done, the room I'm working on now should be really nice. I keep forgetting I'm going to live in it, so I here and there find myself doing something half-assed, then have to go back re-do it whole-assed... Like pulling a new wire instead of trying to get away with using the crumbling wax insulated wire...

11. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I keep doing that too...accidentally trying to take shortcuts to save time, then having to go back and re-do it anyway. Sometimes, I do a "not so pretty" job on some areas of framing, but I know it will hold up. I just try to cover over it before my mom sees.

12. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

yep, im there too, we got a 1920's farm house in june, and its been a weird hall i'll say! we just replaced the back door, and lemmie tell ya, we cant even find wood cut the size of original so EVERYTHING has to be framed in all new, moulding etc... nothing is a straight swap, its ALL a can o worms! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

been there done that! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif our house was built in 1940 and started as a one room shack! the guy just kept adding onto it! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif total nightmare! but i am lucky hubby is a superintendent/carpenter at his normal job and they build custom multi million dollar homes over on the island, so we get alot of hard wood flooring and cherry wood that the customers dont want cause they have changed there minds! we get all kinds of stuff and now thanks to him and alot of work gutting the house and starting over its finally coming together and is done right, but wow it sure was a pain to do but we look at all the old pictures and look at it now it is so cool to see the changes so dont forget to get pictures lots of them of before during and after and have fun! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kelly