Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ahh help.. broke something

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jun 24, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

was out 4wheeling today and was bouncing around and i bounced to much, i guess my front end got off the ground a little and when i came down the tires grabbed and put to much torque or something on the front end and snapped a u-joint. the one that connects to the knuckle which is connected to the axle. well i sheered off the u-joint on 2 ends (the top/bottom)on the drivers side..and the other 2 ends are still connected.. but the knuckle cracked in half and need a new one.. so i need the knuckle and the u-joint replaced.. so i had to drive out in 2wd /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...so how much does that cost to replace or would i be better off buying a used 10bolt from a junkyard. u know what i am talking about right?
    any help..thanx guys! my friend has his digital camera and took pics i will try and post it up later

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i don't know about junkyard prices or knuckles, but the stub is about $50 and the ujoint is around $30 new.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

really? where can i get these? cuz thats not to expenisve.. i have 2 more questions... is it ok to drive with it like that? its not in 4wd so nothing up front moves, and how hard is it to replace this? this is my daily driver and only meens of transportation.. but i drove it out from the trail today and home about 25 miles away..seemed fine to me..? thanx

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got some 10 bolt stuff laying around if you are in the market. Let me know everything you need. I'm in Reno so shipping wont be too bad.

5. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

cool..well is it the whole thing or what?

6. MTBLAZER89

yes I pretty much have a complete 10 bolt minus locking hubs.

7. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hmm.. well i kick it around.. i found the parts i need new for $130... so? i dont know

8. MTBLAZER89

What parts do you need? I'll try and cut ya a deal.

9. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    well i need the driver side knuckle that attaches the ujoint to the wheel.. u know? the peice that holds the u-joint in place.. umm.. i snapped the knuckle part that holds it all in place.. if u dont know what i am talking about i can send u a picture or something tomorrow.. my friend has a pic.. but its the big piece of steal that connectes the u-joints to the inner axle which make me have 4wd engaged... thanx!

10. MTBLAZER89

yeah send me a pic. Sounds like you need the inner and outer shaft and maybe the knuckle (parts that swivels when you turn withthe tie rod connection). Let me know.

11. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

ok sounds good.. will send u a pic tomorrow..

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    well i need the driver side knuckle that attaches the ujoint to the wheel.. u know? the peice that holds the u-joint in place.. umm.. i snapped the knuckle part that holds it all in place.. if u dont know what i am talking about i can send u a picture or something tomorrow.. my friend has a pic.. but its the big piece of steal that connectes the u-joints to the inner axle which make me have 4wd engaged... thanx!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the knuckle or you couldn't drive back home /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It's the outer stub and the inner axle that you broke.
    The knuckle is the part that holds the hubs and connects to the tie rod, if it breaks you are stranded.
    As for driving it as is, you should be fine as long as you are in 2wd, and if you have manual hubs unlock them.

13. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well... i just talked to my friend and he is getting me the picture ..so i will load it on here and have u guys look!
    well if u are right, is it expensive to fix? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

14. MTBLAZER89

naww if it's just the axle shafts..very simple.