Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHH! No power steering! Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Oct 5, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

My power steering started going crazy the other day when i was off roading, it wasnt giving any assistance at slow engine speed, like in a parking lot, So i put some fluid in it cause it was low and it didnt do a thing. Then i tried to bleed the system and it started puking fluid out of the resivour cap. I went and got a new cap and tried once again to bleed the system and it keeps puking, and the steering is no better. Did i burn up the pump or what? I need some help please!
    Thanks
    Jason

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like the pump /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have the same problem only it comes and goes, I hope that I can fix it before it dies.
    How do you bleed it?
    Mine was a little low and I topped it off and it was a little better, then it started to act up again. The fluid level is still good.
    Is it still salvagable?
    I was thinking I would rebuild it, I know that fluid gets hot and becomes gummy anyone with experience on that?
    IceMan

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I was told that a proper way to bleed a power steering system is to turn the wheels from lock to lock 20 or 30 times with the engine off. Thats what I did when i replaced my steering gear.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Be like a nickel whore and get some bigger forearms. haha.

One of my friends learned why you don't put a 14" steering wheel on a fullsize truck. If you lose power steering and have 40" rubber you might as well get out a come-along to turn the tires or have the arms of He-man.

I'd plan on putting a new pump in. They don't like big tires, low fluid, or excessive heat.

6. Great78burb

Great78burb Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    My pump throws a fit about turning my tires with the engine running! I guess maybe if I jack up the front of the truck? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif