Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHH starting to leak oil.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, Apr 22, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

i guess my truck has a slow leak..its leaking oil from it looks like where the tranny meets into the engine..?? what could this be..i havent crawled up in there yet but i need to...help please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rear main seal. Unless it gets pretty bad most people wouldn't mess with it.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's a Chevy thing... That's how they mark their territory! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yup mine is doin that too. Its the rear main seal. With 166k on my truck Im not worryin about it until it starts to gush.

5. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yup mine is doin that too. Its the rear main seal. With 166k on my truck Im not worryin about it until it starts to gush.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ok.. well i have like 163K exactley..so if it is the rear main seal, how hard and how much money does it cost? or would it be better to have somebody do it..??

6. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I would say, after just replacing mine, unless your are mechanically inclinded and very patient, have someone do it. I did mine for about $10-$15, but, like I said in the Diesel Forum, it is a REAL pain to change with the engine in the truck. Figure on a good day's work, maybe 2. If it is leaking out the drain hole in the flywheel cover, then it is most certainly the rear main seal. If it isn't, then check your valve covers. A lot of times they will leak at the back of the head and drip down the back of the engine. Like AZBLAZOR said, unless it is leaking real bad, deal with it. Mine wasn't leaking all that bad unless I took a long highway trip. I went ahead and fixed it because I was getting some flak at work about "marking my territory" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Diesel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

That is definitely the rear main seal. It is a cheap part that you can get at autozone or some place like that. The installation will take probably all day with 2 people (thats how long it took me on my brothers.) Depending on what year the truck is, you may either have to take the transmission or engine out, (The one I did it on was too old to have to take either out) . It really isnt that hard in my opinion. I did it on a 79. It will also save you $$$ if you do it yourself. Just get a chiltons or something like that.
    Harrison

8. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't you have to the pistons out if you wanted to change the top portion of the seal? The crank would have to be dropped and that would be alot of work. Unless, you're just changing the bottom portion... then you could just drop the pan and the main cap and replace it but I can't see that working well.

9. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

My year 6.2 has a 2 piece seal, so no, it can be done with the engine in the truck.

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the newer K5's had a one piece seal so it is impossible to get it out without taking the engine or transmission out. But on a 79 its a 2 piece, and if you just push on one side of the seal, then it just slides around enough to pull the other protruding end out. Changing the seal will fix the problem temporarily but it will come back due to the crud that gets inside where the seal goes on top. The crud will eat a groove in your new seal and leak again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Dont know how long it takes that to happen but the one I did has about 20K more miles on it now and isnt leaking. I dont know for sure, but an 82 might be the easier 2 piece seal.
    Harrison

11. RiceDaddy

RiceDaddy Registered Member

I second DieselBurb's sugggestion of checking the valve covers for leaks. More than likely it's the rear main seal leaking, but you should probably rule out the valve covers first. It would stink to go to all the trouble of replacing the rear seal when all you had to do was tighten the covers.

12. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

It could also be the intake manifold gaskets or the sealer in the valley of the engine leaking, causing oil to run right down the sides of the bellhousing.

13. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

is the oil black engine oil or red trans fluid? the rear main is real easy to replace but if its the front pump seal that is starting to leak then get ready to pull your trans outto replace the pump seal.if your engine is an 1982 350 it a two peice. after 86 they went to the one peice and if its the one peice then you have to remove the trans to replace the rear main.

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

eh dont worry about it, with my engine the way it is right now (not worryin, waitin to get my 496 together) anywhere i park could be a Haz-Mat cleanup problem. My parking space at school could be literally lit on fire.......Dont worry, till you start leakin a quart every 2 weeks like me............ /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Luckly, I haven't had to tackle a 6.5 one-piece seal yet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif but I've done a few 6.2s (much easier, about 3 hour job). The 6.5 shouldn't be that bad, but the tranny-transfer has got to come out. Rent/borrow/buy a real transmission jack, you will curse yourself if you don't! I replaced my torque converter in about 4+ hours (solo).

Make sure to check your CDRV (crank-case depression relief valve) before ANY of this. If you don't know what that is and how it affects your rear main, go to the Diesel Forum and SEARCH /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

hey, well i think i will check all this stuff..thanx guys, so check the valve covers..will do, yea im down with pretty much leaving it leaking..like others said, unless it leaks like a quart then leave it! its not a major leak but u know.. plus i've heard since its diesel shouldnt it leak some oil anyways?? just cuz its diesel? thats what i've heard?! thanx alot..will let u guys know....

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont worry, till you start leakin a quart every 2 weeks like me

[/ QUOTE ]

A quart every two weeks? When I bought my truck, it leaked a quart EVERY DAY!

As for it's supposed to leak, it's a diesel, that's BS. No engine should leak oil. Many diesels do though.