Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ahh... to get old- humorous or sad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Jan 21, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if I should find it sad or humorous as I watch my grandpa's current cycles:

As soon as it's bedtime- Get up... walk to bathroom, use bathroom. Go to kitchen make instant coffee (usually not hearing the kettle whistle and leaving it whistle); or getting a soda...

then going to the livingroom and pushing buttons on the TV until he notices the screen comes on (always opening up the DVD player and pushing it back in. Then watches TV which he can't hear anyways for 10 minutes to an hour, then turning it off, going to the bathroom then back to bed; and 30 minutes to an hour later starting the process all over again repeatedly until it's morning. Then he stays asleep.

Plus theres all the noises... sounds like heavy breathing all the time (though some people think he's constantly humming a tune), trying to dismantle things in his bedroom or pound nails in the wall to hang up a broken picture, natural bodily function noises which are quite noisy, loud groaning sounds when he stretches that you can hear across the house, and what sounds like him asking himself questions loudly in Philipino.

I think I'm going to dislike getting old and not being able to do things as easily as before. I don't think he's enjoying it all that much. Some things he does are kind of funny, but it's also sad in that he's not the same as he used to be.

2. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

read my sig line, i thought we were supposed to enjoy our golden years:D

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I noticed that my grandmoher did the same things over and over also. She was not happy all that much after my grandfather died, but sometimes little things would make her very happy (great grand kids for instance). I really think that she pushed through the drudgery of day to day existance for those bright spots and that she would no have given that up for anything. Its the little things.

I already "can't do the same things as before" like when I was 20. There are some things tha I do better. I have learned, for example, to relax just a little bit. I hope to live a long long time and also hope that I find new things that keep it interesting.

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Don't worry, by the time your 60 they'll have designed a way for your brainwaves to be transferred into a vacuum cleaner.

Then life will really suck.