Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHHH Broke a U-Joint yesterday.....PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Nov 24, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Well to start off for the last 6 months I have not been able to get the Jimmy Running and after tons of work....including an HEI distributor, new carb, new one wire alternator and hours of tracing wires it was running great. Just my luck we were test driving it behind the house...broke a u-joint.

[​IMG]

2. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

3. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

For reference this was on the short side. The short axle is a 19 spline and measures 7 3/4 inches, long axle is 30 spline and measures 16 1/2 inches. Not for sure if it is a 10bolt or Dana 44....maybe somebody can clarify that part.

4. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Also I need a replacement if anybody has one....Thanks

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

That's the great part about getting it running, it will give you the oportunity to break some more stuff so you can spend more time repairing it so you can get it running and break stuff and spend more time repairing it so that you can get it running so that you can break aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like a D44. You likely have the crappy, small u joints too (and that one looks like it was lacking a little bit of maintenance as well).

I'd get yourself a pair of the newer shafts from a 75 and up truck that will have the larger 297x joint. I can get you brand new ones as well if you'd like, but good used ones will do ya just find and be much cheaper. Of course make sure you top it all off with a pair if 5-760x cold forged Spicer joints. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. You know that one thing that confuses me are all these #'s..."297 joint" and 5-760x. Does anybody know of some write-up that tries to explain what the #'s mean and what applications that will work on? Thanks

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the reply. You know that one thing that confuses me are all these #'s..."297 joint" and 5-760x. Does anybody know of some write-up that tries to explain what the #'s mean and what applications that will work on? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

5-297x is the old part number

5-760x is the new part number for the stronger cold forged u joint

Both are the same dimensions, the 5-760x is just stronger.