Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHHH, HELP...DEAD TRUCK!!!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, Apr 5, 2003.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

SO this morning, get the truck all loaded up and head out, and while I'm driving throught the parking lot, I notice it's surging a little bit. It did that for a few seconds yesterday, but today it's more noticable. Then I get one BIG surge and it just stops. Won't start back up. Engine is turning, starter is working, getting power. But I have a fuel dripping out from what appears to be right in front of the transmission. Mostly on the passenger side. I checked the fuel lines, wiped down everything under there and tried to find the leak, but couldn't. As I'm sitting there I"m thinking that it must be the injector pump, but this fuel is leaking in the back of the engine. I popped the hood and checked the lines going to the fuel filters (both of them) and going to and from the injector pump. Also checked them going to the injectors, can't see where it's leaking.
    Does anybody have any ideas? I'm totally stuck and this totally sucks.

(Copied from my post over at the Diesel page)

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I would think it has to be somewhere on the fuel line into the filter, and its just following the line down. Does it do it while your cranking it over? Id just check that line real good, maybe it rubbed though on somthing. Good luck!!

3. 4x4dreamer

Which filter? The secondary? That one is on the back of the engine...the other, as you know, is off the the passenger side. Someone on the DP said that it was the injector pump...what do those run these days anyway?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It sounds like a bad fuel line. On my 6.2 the supply line from the lift pump goes up behind the alternator, then under the intake manifold, and at the rear of the intake manifold heads out toward the filters on the firewall. Where it exits from under the manifold it changes from hard line to rubber line...I'd look there. If you have a noticable amount of fuel dripping you're also getting a considerable amount of air in the supply. Air causes the surging, and I'd guess if you had enough air getting in it would stall and refuse to start...

Rene

5. 4x4dreamer

Okay, here's the deal. I just happened to have two new fuel filters here because I had planned on changing them soon anyway. So I pulled the Primary, replaced it with with a nice coat of oil on the gasket and everything. Pulled the secondary (which I'm wondering if anybody EVER did) and replaced it after cleaning up the adapter a lot. Put it all back together, cranked her off and on for about 10 minutes, finally it fired up, ran ike it has been for the past 6 months for about 3 minutes, then got real quiet. It's running smooth now (like it never has...and it's really quiet too), no leaks. Took it for a short drive...it died on me once. After a few tries it started back up and got me back home. Is that just leftover air in the lines or do I still have a problem. It's not leaking at all, but I have some cardboard under it right now so I can see if it's trying to.

What do you guys think?

6. 4x4dreamer

okay, another update. I went out after my little jaunt and looked at the piece of cardboard I put under the truck...still have a little leak. Not sure what to do. The valley between the cylinders has a lot of sludge in it...looks like oil, could be a lot of fuel. I'm in denial about it possibly being my injector pump, but I'm sure that's what it is. Tomorrow, I"m going to try to clean out that valley under the intake manifold and see if I can find a leak from the pump.
    What is the going rate for pumps these days?

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Probably a severe thottle shaft leak if there is fuel in the valley. No need to get a new pump, you can take it to a fuel shop and have them replace just that part, most likely at a much lower cost since the pump doesnt have to be disassembled very far to get to that part.

8. 4x4dreamer

Last night I parked it at an incline. The A$$ end up in the air, just on a little hill. This morning the puddle is in the front of the engine...I don't know what to do now, and the wife is working all day today, so I have to hang out with the kids (not a chore, more like a party..shh, don't tell the wife) so I can't work on the truck. Looks like I'm on the motorcycle this week.