Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHHH, I wish to kill myself! The job oppurtunity of a lifetime and I'm not ready?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 1, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

One of the best local fabricators just called me to inform me he may soon be looking to take someone on! I put in an application with him months ago when I was on the job hunt(after I got back from school, say oh 7 months ago) and he wasn't in the market at the time. He considered giving me a chance but my nerves got the better of me and I never called him back on it... I ****ing blew that chance. Now he calls me up, and I am NOT ready :doah: I have done VERY little fabrication work since I came home from school. Its been about 4 months since I actively welded or fit anything. I have been planning to buy tools and recut my teeth on the S10, then go job hunting again. ****... But now he calls and wants to talk about getting together next week sometime to see what I can do and see about the job. This is THE thing I want to do... but I wasn't sure I was ready to be tested by this guy 7 months ago, now... I am a more confident person but my nerves still get the better of me on many occassions. Damnit... damnit... damnit...

ok venting off.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Get your ass in gear and practice up. Then give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is he tells you to come back later when your skills are better....

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I don't have access to any welders or anything at this point though. I MAY be able to purchase my Lincoln 255 this coming week and practice up each night this week, but thats short notice. I could do it... I could take some tubing from out back, clean it up, hand fit it(grinder notch) or chop saw it, and practice up...

His big hangup back when was that I am not a good TIG welder. I need much more practice at it. I just don't have the ability to practice that at this moment. No one I know has a machine. If I were to get the job I am sure I could practice there, but I'd have to get it first.

My heart is beating out of my chest...

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Deep breath. Do what you can practice wise and then put your best foot forward. If he's callin ya he's interested and may cut you some slack.

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Study up and take the chance. Nothing to lose, the world to gain. If he does'nt hire you he will hire someone else. You have your foot in the door now so walk on through. Go for it.

6. 68MUDSTUD

68MUDSTUD OCD with shiny things

hell yeah man, a friend told me once that if i dont step up and do what i think i need to, then im going to become nothing, working a wendy's. Do it, if thats the kind of job you want, the worst thing he could say is no... in my eyes, its worth a shot.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Be honest with him. If its been a while, it may take a few days for you to get back in the swing of things. People have to work to pay the bills. Everyone started somewhere.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you know I just settled into the idea of "settling" for being a Mitsubishi Technician. Made sure they are going to send me to training. Got comfortable with a few little things at work, tried taking things a little more seriouslly...

Now all that is out the window and all I'm thinking is, how, when, and where, can I practice to leave that job in the dust for my dream job... sigh... I am way too good at getting my hopes up but expecting the worst.

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

practice man, youll get it. Be short with him... tell him you haven't fabed anything in awhile, and by the 3rd bead youd be set.

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Alan.. a wise man once told me.. " where you lack self confidence, you must fill the void with courage".. If it's really your dream, go for it and try.. you'll be pissed at yourself if you don't.

Trust me on this.. regret hurts much worse than failure..

Tom

11. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

he has called you 2x.he might not call a third time. be straight up on your skills and offer to stay late to practice on your own time to get to the level he wants you at.show him what you can do now and offer to set a date to be at the level he wants.if you dont make it you leave

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree 100%. Go for it. If you fail, go for it again.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agree x eleventy billion. If you don't "go for it" in this case, you'll regret it for life. Take the dive... try your best, show the guy that you really want to do this sort of work, at his sort of shop and you'll prolly get it.

j

ps: do it for Ruby.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

enthusiasm can often times be used in place of a lack of experience.

15. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

****in a man. GO FOR IT!! Him calling you is a really good sign.

16. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Hit it on the head....I've failed at a few things in the past and learned to shrug it off as it wasn't meant to be at that time, but I kick myself every time I think of the opportunities I passed up and now regret.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no guts no glory. now go talk to him already!

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The only time you fail is when you don't try.... Talk with this man. Tell him your out of practice but that this is what you want.... Let him know that you are commited to this career. It's not like you weren't in the automotive industry where your at now. If you have time practice. But remember a bird in your had is worth more than two in the tree... Keep your current job until you work everything out with him. You can ask him if you can work for a hour or two each night or on your day off to get back into it until your happy with your progress. He needs someone, and your on his mind... It doent hurt to talk with him! Call him on Tuesday!!!

GO FOR IT!

19. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you blew him off once and he still called you back, then he sees something in you. But if you don't follow through this time you may not get another chance.

If you want to practice get a gas rig, if you can weld with that the rest should be fine. If he knows you're working at a dealer then he knows you aren't doing fab work.

If he makes you an offer and you take make sure you give a two week notice, in writing, to your job now. Be prepared to be let go when you give it, though. It is always best to leave on good terms. You never know what will happen in the future.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I alread have that planned out. If he gives me a shot I am gonna give a written letter of resignation, 2 weeks notice, and try to keep things good so if it doesn't work out, I have a place that may consider me again.

I talked to him this afternoon. Going Thursday at around 5:30-6:00. I'm already nervous... I have a project to practice on that HOPEFULLY, I can get done tomorrow night.