Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ahhh spittin out more ujoints again!!! help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rwright07, Mar 5, 2006.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

oook so i got the ujoints on my rear driveline replaced about 6k miles ago...
    first time around they hammered in the bearings n i had to go in about 2 weeks later n make em press them in n do it again
    then they figured out my t-case output shaft was worn
    more $$$... now 4 monthes later its vibrating and chirping again
    GAY... i probly should mention that its a 76 k5 w/ 4in lift, 400sb,th350,np203, open 12blt rear
    i dont think my pinion should b bad enough to be binding and killing the ujoints so fast but i duno... i went mudding a week ago n did sum donuts n crap but nuttin tooooo crazy
    should i have a freinda mine order sum new ones n do it myself this time or wat? should i go back n make them look at it n do it again? maybe should i shim my 12blt to get a better pinion angle?

ne thoughts, opinions, remedies, or whatnot?
    thnks in advance,
    rick

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What are the actual angles? Remember, even if they are equal, if they are too tight you will still burn up ujoints.

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What size tires are you running?

4. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Not sure what you mean by they are too tight but I am having the same problems with mine as he is except mine last about 2k miles. I think mine are due to axle wrap. The only differnence in specs are: built 350 and I'm running 33's.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

6. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info.

7. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

I'll have to watch this one too...

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Are the yokes on the driveshaft in good shape? Is it a good press fit when you install the ujoint cap? How bout the yoke on your diff? Is it u-bolt or strap style? If it's strap style, are the straps in good shape? If any of the yokes or straps are worn, they won't retain the cap correctly, that could cause your problems. If you say you had to go back and get the caps pressed back in, my bet is the yoke(s) are worn and alowing the cap to walk out, or the snap rings aren't properly installed. Who is installing the joints for you?

9. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

ok to answer some q's
    im running 33 bfg mtrs and im not sure as to the angle, a buddy a mine is lookin at it tomarrow and measuring the angles n stuff.... i just replaced a worn out output shaft on the tcase... havent looked at the diff yolk but i know they are the ubolt syle. a guy that runs a shop that is a freinda my moms (imma 17 yr old kid, so when she says she'll pay if he does it... end of arguement) installed the last two sets that one went bad in like 2 weeks, then we found the worn tcase shaft, then he installled a second set free b/c he didnt catch the worn shaft the 1st time... i honestly have never done them myself but am thinkin about figuring out how jsut so that if it craps out soon il have myself to blame n il know how to put new ones in
    thanks again,
    rick

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

There has to be something wrong if joints are only lasting 2 weeks. If all the yokes are in good shape, then it has to be your angles. You could try lowering the t-case , that will ease the angles a bit and help save your joints. If you look at the bolts that hold the t-case x-member to the frame, there should be some 1" spacers on the top of the bolts, inside the frame. If there aren't any spacers, you can make some out of some 1" wide tubing whatever the width of the frame is. Just drill a couple holes. Put a jack under the t-case with some pressure on it to hold everything in place. Remove the 4 bolts holding the x-member to the frame. Lower the jack just enough to put the spacers between the x-member and the frame. Bolt everything back together and try it out. It's a pretty easy job, shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

This is an ooolllld picture of my '76 what kinda shows what I'm talkin about. Sorry it's so fuzzy.
    [​IMG]

11. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

ok i got the measurements back.... the tcase output angle is fine, but the angle at the diff is bad... 18 degrees
    so im going to drop the tcase down w/ sum spacers n then check it again...
    if its still bad im gunna have to weld some shims into the spring perches on when i go down to my unlces shop in oregon the weekend of the 17th to learn to weld n fix up stuff on the blazer...
    ne further ideas???
    rick