Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHHHH......... FLOWMASTERS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Sep 19, 2004.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Finished putting "true" duals on the 89. 2 high flow cats and some series 40 flowmasters. I love the way they sound!! Just wanted to share

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I git some on mine to and I have to say they sound sooooooo sweet /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I don't have flowmasters but I do have 2.25" duals through 30" bottles and I think it sounds pretty sweet.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Finished putting "true" duals on the 89. 2 high flow cats and some series 40 flowmasters. I love the way they sound!! Just wanted to share

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran a pair of 2.5" 50's a few years back, then swapped in a pair of 40's. I was surprised they weren't much if any louder. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif One thing for sure is the 50's had a nicer tone at the upper rpm's than the 40's. It sounded a bit too raspy with the 40's at anything over 4000 rpm.

Either way, I really like Flows. I run a single 2.5" 50 on my 6.2 riight now (it was just laying around and I was broke /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)

Rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally hate mine, they're not loud enough for me and too high pitched. If I ever get some money I'm going to try something else.

6. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Bout time you got an exhaust setup on my ex wife! did u get the super 40s? or regular 40s? and what about the headers man!?.

[​IMG]

7. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally hate mine, they're not loud enough for me and too high pitched. If I ever get some money I'm going to try something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a Flowmaster one chamber for you to try.. The body is 6.5" long /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I have dual 1 chambers on my Mustang and it is pretty loud /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif but im debating on going flows or magnaflows on the K5, just finished swapping in the TBI 350, now need to concentrate on exhaust.

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You get the performance with MagnaFlow, I sell both. Currently I have a MagnaFlow on mine, been there for four years, time for a change. Gonna sacrifice the performance for something new, going with the Super 40s this time around. Adding headers though so it should even out /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

BTW.. give me a shout and I'll work ya up a good deal.

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally hate mine, they're not loud enough for me and too high pitched.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of pipes do you have on it? Small pipes or a lot of bends really kills the sound. Based on all your other posts, you must have headers, which is the other important factor.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I personally hate mine, they're not loud enough for me and too high pitched.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of pipes do you have on it? Small pipes or a lot of bends really kills the sound. Based on all your other posts, you must have headers, which is the other important factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have headers, dual 2 1/4". That's the reason my sound isn't very deep, but it was much deeper with the glasspacks.

I'm likely going to put Dynomax bullet race mufflers on my truck or something. I don't drive it on the road anymore and I can hardly hear it. The backpressure from the flows keeps killing my collector gaskets too, which never happened before I got the flows.

Flows do sound good on big engines with big pipe and lots of cam, but I personally think mine sound like crap.

Yes they're 40s, and yes they're mounted the correct direction.

13. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

So Flow's don't flow as well as Magna's? I'm about to buy 50 series delta flow on 3". Is there a better choice?

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So Flow's don't flow as well as Magna's? I'm about to buy 50 series delta flow on 3". Is there a better choice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, Open Headers or a Straight 4" pipes.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's a DD as well...

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Perhaps that may be a little extreme..... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, Open Headers or a Straight 4" pipes....

[/ QUOTE ]

Your curve will dramaticaly change when doing this. With the tune on my truck engine it lost power when running open headers......
    For my money Flows/Magnas are awesome.
    The collector gaskets might be blowing from using different hangers? I use ball style joints and will be putting flex joints behind the collectors very soon.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    With the tune on my truck engine it lost power when running open headers......

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lost power with open headers it was due to your fuel mixture being too lean, not from opening up your headers.

19. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, MagnaFlow's are the best flowing out there, they even dyno better then straight pipe. If you want a good rumble about the same volume as a 50, I would say go with a 5x8 oval about 18" long.

20. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Headers?? no way. Not gonna mess with them! in my opinion, NOT worth the trouble on a daily driver that see's the snow! They'll rot out in a year or 2! I went with regular 40's.