Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHHHHH!!!! HELP!! MY BLAZER DIED!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Nov 4, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I turned out of my driveway and was going up the road and I noticed that it went up to 2500 RPM until it shifted into 2nd, and it jolted the whole truck when it did. I thought that was wierd but continued on. When I started off from the first stop sign the engine would only go to 1400 RPM and would not shift into 2nd at all. I also noticed that black smoke started coming out of the tailpipes, not a lot but it was continous and that it was running a little rough. I made a block around and it continued to only get to 1400 RPM and wouldn't shift. Even with the pedal to the floor it wouldn't get over 1400 or go into 2nd. I got in front of my house when it died. I popped the hood and saw smoke coming out of the air cleaner assembly, it was just a little cause it stopped after 10 or so seconds(backfire??). And now it wont start. What the hell is the problem? Is it the tranny? I'm running a 305/700r4.
    Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The same thing happened to my friend today. He blew the engine going 75 down the highway. The people at the gas station we took it to were cool and they said they could tell it was blown because the dipstick was blown out of the tube about an inch or two.

90K5

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

back to the top

4. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

actually it may be the seals in your carb my buddy's truck did the same thing dumping tons of fuel check the plugs to see if their flooded. he found a holley new at cragen for 275$

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like a carb problem to me as well, do you have a spare carb you can try? It sounds like some debris is fouling up the innards. My Dad used to have a Cornbinder pickup and his did the same thing, it ran worse and worse, with less and less power until it finally quit on the side of the road. He got out and had a look and there was fuel pouring out of the carb. 1 reman carb later and he was back in business.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have heard of the vacuum modulator going out in the tranny, causing ATF to get sucked up the vacuum line into the intake. Also would cause the tranny not to shift.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't think that 700R4's ever had vacuum modulator lines. Only the TV cable.

New 4x4 driver: "A lot of money in that truck, eh?"
    Me: "Oh, about 1/4 of a new one"

8. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Are you getting any fuel to the carb? Could be bad fuel pump.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I swapped carbs on Sunday and now it works fine, no problems. Thanks for the advice[​IMG]

10. Scottsdale

Scottsdale Registered Member

Mine is doing the same thing. I adjusted the choke on it and it is doing a little better. Did you have a spare carb or did you buy a reman unit?

Bowties, hate wearin' em, love driven' em!