Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ahhhhh, I can't get my doors to line up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JEnis, Apr 14, 2001.

1. JEnis

JEnis Newbie

Ahhhhh, I can\'t get my doors to line up

I cannot get my doors to line up correctly. I can feel and hear them hit the rocker panels when I hit bumps. They are driving me crazy. Does anyone have sugestions on how to properly line them up? Thank!!!!!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: Ahhhhh, I can\'t get my doors to line up

<font color=blue>If you can feel and hear them hitting the rockers, they're moving up and down. Check to see if the hinge bolts are tight and if they are have someone try to move the door up and down while you watch the hinge bushings. Sounds like bushings to me.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. JEnis

JEnis Newbie

Well, I will start there. If anyone would know it would be you. Liked your soft doors. Thanks!

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

My doors do the same thing. I plan on picking up a hinge and bushing set some time this week. The move up and down about 3 inches or more! The bushings are shot so I hope new bushings fixes the doors.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

My doors do the same thing. I plan on picking up a hinge and bushing set some time this week. They move up and down about 3 inches or more! The bushings are shot so I hope new bushings fixes the doors.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, make sure the bolts are tight. if they are, then open the door and pick up on the outer edge...ideally, 0 play in both hinges (although bottom should be much worse) before you start to pick the truck up. If you've got an extreme amount of play, you may need to get new hinges. Also your striker bolt may need replacing if its gouged badly, which usually happens from people not fixing the door hinges.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Like others have said, it is probably worn out (or loose) hinges. When it is fixed and you adjust your doors, make sure the back of the door rises about 1/8" as it latches onto the striker. The hinges are not supposed to support the weight of the door when it is closed. Leaving the door weight leveraged on the hinges can result in cracks around where the hinge bolts to the door as well as damage to the hinge itself.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.