Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! Tech in the lounge!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jun 4, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it's ford tech too! i just don't think it's worthy of the garage. sorry. i need help tho. this dude asked me to rebuild his 95 ford BB. it's been sitting in his back yard for a year since the PS pump apparently caught on fire and burned the intake. he doesn't have the computer for it and wants to put it into his 85 van.

my questions:
    • is it possible to make it run w/ out the computer (i.e. injection timing and whatnot). could a carb be put on it instead so that i could essentially bypass the computer stuff. (sorry, don't know the engine size or anything more than it being a 95 ford bb.)
    • how should i charge if i do this? i imagine he'll want me to install it too. I don't want to charge too much, b/c then my work may not be consistent w/ my pricing, but this may be much more work than i'd imagined.
    • should i do this? i could see problems rising out of the fact that i may have trouble getting it to run b/c of the missing parts which i don't know are missing yet (i.e. any electronics).
    • anyone got any great advice?
    maybe i'm finding my own answer writing this that it may not be a good idea. he says he doesn't want any machining done - he just wants it to run. so i don't know if it even needs to be taken apart. hmmm. someone tell me what to do.

2. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

Let the rest of it burn? j/k

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

most vans suck to do swaps on...

I don't know cr*p about furd BB's, but I would assume if you can get a carbed intake and non-computer controlled dizzy for it, you could get it to run..

I'd pass...He's gonna want a deal and you may have MANY hrs into it.. Sounds like the van doesn't have a BB, which means mount, clearance, exhaust, etc issues, on top of the probs your already considering...

4. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are going to install too , don't forget about the trans . BB Fords have different bell housings . What about cooling ? I wouldn't do this swap!!!

5. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

Tell him its a lot easier and about the same price to get a reman longblock now. Thats the way iam going on my 460.

6. colbystephens

cool. i'll probably let it pass then.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

probably a good idea. since you cant figure out where tech is supposed to go, i bet you'd look like a monkey humping a football trying to get the Ferd runnin.

just messin with ya man. :haha:

8. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

You need to spend your free time wrenching on your rig NOT on a pos ford :haha: . :o I shouldn't talk because I'm working on a ford myself BUT it's a 69 mustang fastback :D . I know that ford had a few years of van's from 77-79 that came from the factory with a bbf 460 and it was a tight fit . My neighbor has a 78 E350 van that he bought new and it has the bb 460 in it . I bet it would be alot of work to convert an newer ford van that never even came with a big block and there may not be enough room to do it . He would be money ahead to sell the 460 and just rebuild the stock motor that came in his van .

9. colbystephens

that's what i told him.

10. colbystephens

i would, but i gotta wait till the end of july to get my tranny. :wink1: