Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Bag Suspension anybody??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steve_kibbe, Jan 31, 2005.

1. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Is any body running air bag suspension?? Thinking about a future mod for my 3/4 gmc.

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I know aguy named Dean that has an Airbag suspension on his Burb. He was at BB04. He runs it off a york compressor, I think he has a 4" lift plus the bags (Don't know how much lift the airbagas are?)

He has it on all 4 corners and it seems to be very useful for changing approach angles and adjusting his center of gravity. Maybe some of the guys that were at BB04 could chime in on how it worked out.

3. steve_kibbe

is he a ck5er?

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I have airbags on my 04 Chevy HD Crewcab. But it's a tow rig. Whacha wanna know?:D

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do you want a 4 link and airbags or leaves with airbags?

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

7. steve_kibbe

I'm thinking about doing a four link front and rear. Nothing massive, well, we'll see what happens, but I want to use it as my tow rig aswell. I'm just kicking around some ideas for now. I looked at the Kelderman kits, but they don't have one, I'd rather built than buy anyways, but I'm not sure where to get the bags, and what sizes are avalible. The fabracation isn't a problem.
    I'd love to see some pics, sites, anything that could give me some more input.
    I'd like to run 35's, so about 4-6 inches of lift is my target. Might even look into doing a write up and possibly make a kit for our trucks.
    Thanks for all the input in advance
    Steve

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if you aren't expecting gobs of articulation a good airbag setup can be setup fairly simply. Look into constructing a 4 link, here and on Pirate, that will be your biggest issue.

9. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

The thing about airbags is that they are great when used at the optimal ride height (about 7 inches between the end plates for the Airlift or Goodyear set-ups). They only extend to about 9 inches total or about 2-3 inches of downward axle travel. On the compression after you compress a couple inches the pressue inside is so great that they will not compress anymore. This is fine for a tow rig but not good for articulation as stated above.

On my dually, I decided to remove a couple leaves including the overloads to give a softer ride while unloaded. I added the airbags to regain the load carrying capacity when needed. It works well especially when combined with RS9000X adjustable shocks. You can adjust airbag pressure and shock valving from the drivers seat to tune the suspension for smooth or bumpy roads or light / heavy loads.

I think a 4 link suspension (with coil springs) will always give a better ride than leaves whether you use airbags or not. If you use coils (but not coil-overs) you can get the airbags that go inside the coils if that interests you.
    Good luck!
    Jeff