Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air bagged trailers

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by cybrfire, Aug 30, 2006.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You guys ever seen a gooseneck trailer with an air bag suspension? I see them all the time on semi trailers but I don't think I've ever seen them on smaller stuff.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

:confused: :thinking: :rolleyes: :thinking: :deal: :xmas: sounds like a super idea. if it realy works.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

just need a constant air supply going to the trailer,,,just like the semi-tractors

4. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

i know a few people that have them. Some of the guys I cruise with at mini-truck shows use a bagged dually to haul with, have a bagged trailer, carrying a bagged mini-truck. Looks great going down the highway when the trailer throws just as many sparks as the truck.

5. cybrfire

I aint looking to throw sparks, just trying to consider all the options for building a trailer. I'd like to start building one this winter some time but who knows what all will be in the shop.

6. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

IMO, starting to go that way is a slippery slope and not neccisary. Like he said you need constant air for load leveling and suspension cycling so you're gonna need glad-hand connections...then why don't you just put air brakes on it......then you need your Class 1 to drive it......then why don't you just buy a used low boy shorty.....then....then.....

but thats just my oppinion. tri-axle leaf sprung gooseneck is an A-Ok trailer for about anything I can think of short of hauling an excavator behind a dump truck

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

torsion axles ride nice. and dexter axle makes one up to 10k per axle. uses dulls and 5" wide shoes in the drums electric.

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I actually had this idea, but on a horse trailer. Horses are bitches about loading up into trailers and even bigger bitches about unloading so if you have a way to raise and lower the trailer it would make loading and unloading those $100k show horses much safer. Horse people pay stupid amounts of money for **** like that. I'm sure you could mount a remote electric pump on the trailer its self to run off the auxilary circuit on a normal 7 prong trailer plug.

9. cybrfire

I was just kicking it around. Torsion axles will probably be the way I go if I ever get around to building a trailer. Had never seen a gooseneck with airbags and didn't know why. Probably due to the need for a constant air supply.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

but, air ride trailers ride SOOOOOOOOOO much nicer,,,,

alittle frustrated at my company, they are buying brand new flatbed trailers, and spending extra money for slider winches, but nothing in the suspension department, still the rough riding spring ride setup,,,,oh well, they don't care if our kidneys are beat to mush, thay get to sit in a nice cozy little office all day:p:

if i had the option of trailer suspension, for horses, or if i did car hauling or something like that daily with heavy stuff, i would pay the extra money for the air ride setup. :D