Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Bags (poof)

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ChevyHuny, May 30, 2002.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Im finishing up the engine rebuild on my 96 z71. It had an engine fire and so I have had to replace allot of sensors, hoses and the top end of the engine. The drivers site air bag sensors are fine but the passenger side isnt. I bought the sensor an
    went to install it when I noticed that the plug that the sensor plugs into is kind of messed up. Not the metal parts that plug in but the plastic part around it. I of course will have to replace that too now.

Im already picturing this thing going off on me when I turn it on or install the battery. Note this is the steering wheel air bag. My truck doesnt have passenger side.

So my question is has anybody switched steering wheels on a truck with driver side airbags? Im considering just not messing with it at all and puttig a different steering wheel on it. Or has anyone disabled the airbags? Im not to happy about an airbag pointed at my face all the time (im short). What is needed to disable them?

Just curious if anyone has done this themselves and if they got a face full of gun powder and airbag.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Mandy dont mess with an air bag!!!!!!!! If something went wrong it would have enough force to break your neck, really!! take it to a shop so they can disabel it. Also they dont make other steering wheel's for your truck since it is federaly mandated to have an air bag. Hope this helps /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

That is exactly why I dont want to mess with it. I want it disabled but I have to put the battery in it and start it to get it to the dealership to disable it. By that time its pointless. My worry is the first time the battery goes in and the first time I start it.

I cant help but mess with the sensors becuase One of them was melted and needed to be replaced with a new one. If I didnt replace it and just started it the thing would have blown. Im trying to prevent it going off.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, more than likely it will not blow due to the fact that the 1st stage sensor has not been tripped yet. There is a sensor under the drivers seat on the drivers side frame rail I believe, that is the 1st stage that primes the sensors under the engine on both sides. If this one has not seen an impact or been melted/forums/images/icons/wink.gif, then it shouldn't be a problem. You can disable the air bag system yourself. Get a chiltons manual, or haynes manual and look in the index. I believe you first pull the fuse, wait the 10 or so seconds for the back up battery to drain, then you pull the yellow connector under the dash that powers the firing circuit of the airbag itself. Then your all done.

5. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Like I said Im rebuilding from an engine fore so I replaced the fuse box, the battery and most of the wireing in the truck. So its already sat for a few months with no fuses no battery no nothing. Im putting it all back together now. I looked it up like you said but since all of those things had been out of the truck for months Im wondering whats the safest way to start this.

I havent had to mess with the Air Bag wires on the drivers side luckly they didnt get heat or melt. I put a whole new wireing harness in this truck . Everything from the firewall out including the tranny hardness that lays on and around the tranny (that was fun) .

6. willyswanter

Well, then, I know when doing work on or around that area, you are too disable the airbag, but I'm not sure about the whole driving it disabled like this. I'm sure theres a better way, such as removing the air bag assembly completely which would be the best way to go.

P.S. Great site, I've spent the last 10 or so minutes checking it out, like others, I like the what not to do section/forums/images/icons/smile.gif.

7. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Now thats a good idea I didnt think about that. You think I could still use the steering wheel without the air bag assembly? Then once the truck is mobil I can get it to someone who can professionally mess with that stuff.

Thanks about my site. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I had someone upset at me last night about the wntd pages. Its my first non liker since the site has been up. Glad you like it. I have so much more to add especially for my truck page but Im redesigning it and its taking me forever. Dont forget to sign my guestbook /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. willyswanter

Lol, didn't even notice a guest book, I'll head back there. Anyway, yeah, once the air bag is removed, it's a nice little package that comes right out, you just put the face of the wheel back over it and you will never notice it missing.

I was checking out the willys wagon project on your site, any news on any more updates coming soon? As you can prob. tell by my name, I'm kind of into them/forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Heres my site: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.industrialoffroad.com/bigwilly.htm>http://www.industrialoffroad.com/bigwilly.htm</a>
    My 96 chevy is on there too under project crew cab. Some of my pics don't work on my site, had a virus "loveletter" and it wiped out all jpegs/forums/images/icons/mad.gif.

9. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Hey I like your site /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Accually the owner of the wagon is a ck5 member its 55willy. He just started a new job so he hasnt had the resources for it but he should be starting up on it again soon. He also makes the howlin offroad products you see in the garage. There is more on the way.

I raelly like the crew cab. Im looking for a lift for my truck right now and Im interested in those new Extreme alloys with the fake beadlock. They look cool and kinda look like the ones you have on your 96. I think the dog likes the new axel too. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif You really put allot into this crew cab. Hopefully you can get the rest of the pics up. Id love to see them.

10. willyswanter

Yeah, I'm still waiting on springs on the truck. As soon as I get them the dana 60 is going under the front/forums/images/icons/cool.gif. I have everything else just waiting. Anyway, yeah, the willys hasn't been updated on my site in a while due to lack of funds, which seems to be spreading/forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Anyway, I didn't know that was 55willy, I've talked with him numerous times, just never seen any pics.

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Yeap thats me/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

-Jeremy
    Howlin Off Road
    "Answer the Call of the Wild"

12. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, if you disconnect any sensor or the module itself, and the air bag light on the dash goes on you've disabled the system. If total disengaugement is wanted I would disconnect the air bag ecu (not sure where it is on your truck) and the air bag unit in your steering wheel, there maybe a short connector to plug into the bag itself but I'm not sure. Once you remove that stuff (making sure the batt. has stayed disconnected for a min. of 30 minuits) Take the stuff and sell it to a body shop bring proof of ownership also. Go (don't laugh) get a Sport truck or Truckin' magizine (if not already attained) do not look at anything but advertisments! (the other pages will only burn the eyes of a diehard 4wd enthusists) With your new found welth buy a new more stylish steering wheel and adapter. Oh and burn the evedince...aka magizine.

13. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thank you so much, im accually going to print this out and take it out to the truck with me while I do this. I think thats a great Idea. Do you think that a body shop will still buy the airbag from me even though my truck was bought at a salvage auction?

I promise not to look at anything but the adds and I will wear protective eye wear while approaching the magazine and will dispoze of it promplty. I will also wear a disquise while purchasing the magazine and will not bring it anywhere near my truck. I dont want to take any chances.

14. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

As long as the bag is not deployed, which it is not (or else I do belive you would not be worried of it blowing in you face!) And the Air bag, or SRS lamp was not on before then your ok. Some body shops will buy used SRS components some will not you need to be carfull who you deal with. I use some sources that are of a **cough cough SHADY huhkm** excuse me. What was that....oh usually I will deal in cash when availuble. If you want I think I have the #s of some venders, for the new PHAT yo! wheel. LOL So you don't need to slum it. Let me know if you want.

15. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I dont know if the light was on before but since my truck wasnt in a accident but just a small engine fire Im sure it wasnt. I checked it on carfax and before the fire it had never had any accidents.

Sure Ill take the numbers. I really would rather not risk this bag blowing by trying to get it to work. Also Im so short that the airbag points to my head, even when I adjust the steering wheel. So even if it goes off in an accident its going to hit me in the face instead of the chest where its supposed to. They dont make trucks for short peoples lol /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

OK, the option that makes the most sence to me would be to find an adapter for your truck. Local parts stores will most likly have something that fits. There are only like three main wheel makers so the adapter may say Grant for instance but even way expencive Sparco wheels will fit it (and the same adapter from Sparco will cost twice as much) So find someone you trust in the parts biz and ask them for a......like catalog or something to look at diffrent wheels and you will find something I'm sure. Otherwise call Stylin Concepts in Ohio 1-800-478-9546 or www.stylinconcepts.com and find something there. They have full billit wheels and some you can actually use to drive your truck.

17. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I think I can find something I would like. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Mandy, I can get the Grant adapter though my work.

19. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

The SIR (air bag) system has redundant trigger, meaning it has two switches that need to be activated inorder to inflate. On some systems, both power and ground are switched. So, it would have to be shorted to Power AND Ground at the SAME TIME for the air bag to go off inadvertantly. (the wireing going to the actual Air-bag, is completly dead. No power. No ground). Furthermore, if the excelorometer does not sence an frontal barrier impact of 15-20 MPH, the SIR modual will not deploy the Air-bags.
    Over-all the system is very-safe, but should be delt with due care. Accedents do happen.

With an engine fire, it could possibly be shorted to power and ground, but not very bloody likely.

Inorder to disable it, remove the SIR fuse (Left hand side of dash on '95 and up) and wait for a few-minutes. Then disconnect the connector under the dash / knee bulster. Thats it, nothing more is needed.
    The wireing to the air-bag has a "shorting-bar", that when disconnected, shorts out the pig-tail, further preventing accedental deplyment.

After doing all your hard work to returrn your truck to near-stock conditions, why would you want to disable the factory Air-bag permantaly? Doesn't make much sence to me.
    It may also fail the State-Inspection, without the SIR system installed and operating correctly.

20. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the same thing- If you do remove the airbag, so it's no-op, and you are in an accident, your insurance company is not going to like that. Especially since the rates are lower with an airbag....I'd tow it to a body shop, have them fix the airbag, or check it to make sure it's all set, then finish putting the truck together..but then again, a lot of people do stuff to there trucks that I wouldn't do, like put different seats in, change shoulder/lap belts to just lap belts etc.. to each his own, just be careful doing it....

Brandy