Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Check Texas...*RANT*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TXBIGFISH, Aug 6, 2002.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

This new emmisions BS!
    I swear all they are trying to do is get older vehicles off the road!
    I have my 81 Jimmy, everything was great until.....They passed this new emmissions test law and have to run them on the dyno, which at first I thought was no big deal, then I find out that my previously exempt vevicle, because it is over 20 years old, is no longer exempt! Now I have to locate all the smog equipment that it never had, and install cats and re do the exhaust and so the list goes on and on! You would think once exempt it is always exempt, but oh no not now right?
    Now to add insult to injury, they have these "veans" set up at most of the entrance ramps on the freeways, they have the camera's and all that crap running out of it. Supposedly, they have a little sensor that can read you emmissions while driving by and then if they are too high they take a picture of you vehicle and mail you a letter stating you have 30 days to get the emmissions within levels, WHAT A CROCK!
    I shouldn't even have to be dealing with this! Now to be exempt it has to be a 78 or older vehicle! I guess I need to find another Blazer 78 or alder and park my Jimmy for another 2-3 years, Dang that ticks me off!
    Never mind the lead smeltering plants, concrete plants, fiberglass plant, and all the other heavy industies around the D/FW area that pollute more than the vehicles, lets not make them clean up, OHHHH, NOOOOOO! Not to mention all the outdated city equipmet and everything else! I am no tree hugger, but, maybe if they would slow down and not be so quick to cut down all the trees and grass and open land in the name of progress, maybe, just maybe, that might help things out a bit, you know everyone must have a tree in thier yard type of thing!
    Even more so I canot afford a new vehicle, and even if I could I do not want one, I am really enjoying have 2 vehicles fully paid for! And I like the fact that I can work on it without a computer!
    OK, I have vented, but dang I have had morer thatn enough of goverment sticking it's nose in and telling you what you can and can't do!
    And don't even get me started about the nosy busy bodies that will call CPS just because you spank you kids, while thier kids are running around like hoodlums ripping apart the store! Just got done with back to school shopping, can you tell.

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just can't wait till they make the stuff happen here in IL and my 6.2 Diesel pulls up!!! Is the emissions stuff you had on there OEM? If not I don't think they can do anything about it, but you never know!!

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

So, what if you don't live in dfw and are just driving thru and that piece of crap takes your pic?

I think they need to crack down the factories too. I've gone by and seen them pumping a bunch of crap out *shakes head*

So, next year will '79's be exempt?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Anyone got a link? Some of this sounds a little over the top. I highly doubt anything is gonna be able to get an accurate emissions 'reading' as you drive by. If that was possible why have testing stations?

I do know that here we do not have exempt years at all for cars or trucks. However, after a certain age they do not force you to replace your cats. If your vehicle still passes the snifer without em you pass. IIRC it's anything 13 years or older can legally have no cats...

The PO of my truck ripped every single piece of emissions equipment off my truck, right down to the carbon canister and it still passes the emissions test here, dyno and all. The dyno is the easiest part to pass believe it or not. The only trouble's i've ever had were on the idle portion of the test due to the longer duration cam. I had to up the idle speed to 950 to get it to run clean enough...

Rene

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Must be why there was an Ozone alert last Friday............... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Here is the link to the site
    Air Check Texas
    muddin, I don't know what you do if you drive through and they pop you! And yes, 79 will be exempt next year. I am so twisted up about this whole thing!
    I haveno idea what came factory for the Jimmy, when I got it had no emmisions equipment on it, so what it is supposed to have I don't have a clue.
    All I have is a motor, no emmissions what so ever, and by the way, no cats.
    I heard that if it doesn't pass and you qualify they will give you a "grant" to get you car to meet the requirements, What BS!
    Shouldn't it be once a vehicle is exempt it always is?
    They are going to have to do something about this!
    Maybe we need to file a class action lawsuit against the state.
    About the Ozone warnings, funny thing is when we have wind from the south we always have Ozone warnings, but when from the North everything is OK? Now the key to the whole thing, guess what is down south in Ellis county? All the big industial centers I spoke of in the first post, you think they could put 2 and 2 together!
    I also saw on the news that the EPA said with this new emmissions test it wasn't really giong to change a thing, most of the polutions come from the large industrial polutants.
    The whole thing boils down to political pressure and they don't want to hold big industries resposible for thier polutants and risk loosing tax dollars, and if they don't get it cleaned up by like 2004 Texas is going to loose thier fedral highway dollars.
    I think it is time for Texas to Seceed(sp)!

7. muddin4fun

I don't see where they talk about the dealies when you're getting on the highway?

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

WTF??? Diesel's don't have to be tested?????? That's BS!!!. I'm sorry this is nothing against desiel's but how many times have you seen BLACK smoke pouring out of a Diesel. I remember a few years back they tried to do that to us(Jefferson County). They built the buildings and all before everybody told them where to stick it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . I went to get my 1971 CHEVY TRUCK inspected this year and 2 different places wouldn't pass it because it didn't have the origional air cleaner housing!!! I tried to argue that it was exempt but it didn't do no good.

9. muddin4fun

Instead of rising, diesel emmissions stay on the ground. Or something like that.

Hmmm....a 383 diesel...../forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Hey Doug Just don't drive by any of these Ugly Pheurds
    [​IMG]

12. muddin4fun

This news upsets me /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

13. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Holy Cr*p! Looks like they DO have a plume sniffer! Maybe everyone can ban together and paint over the camera lenses... just a thot, prolly against the law.

Sheesh, and I thought where I lived was the worst!

14. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

It more than upsets me and I believe this is a justifyable rant!
    I'll try to get a pic and post it tommorow, of all their high tech equiment!
    And by the way this is just not in Dalls and Tarrant counties it is also Collin county and Harris county and I think in San Antonio and Austin too boot.
    Surly this can not be legal can it?

15. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I'v ebeen dodgeing them for almost a month now but one got me yesterday, after taking the kids to day care and it was to late I couldn't get away from it.
    Soooo, what I did is killed the motor and coasted past it, I hope it worked! I wonder if the "machines" compensate for a lift?
    You would think they have to aim those things wouldn't you? If so the majority of the vehicles are cars so maybe they are aimed to low.
    Just a thought.

16. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Update.........
    Coming to work this morning and dodging the one I already knew about I found that they have added 2 more emmission trucks on freeway entrance ramps, funny thing is the only place I see them is where I live went clear to Boyd over the weekend and never seen another one!
    Now I have to find ANOTHER way around them........BASTARDS!
    I am begining to feel as if this is personal and they just have it in for me!

17. muddin4fun

This is starting to sound like Big Brother..../forums/images/icons/mad.gif

18. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Defiantely!

19. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

Im sure glad I live in Grayson Co, but they will proubly come after us next.

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

WTF is that all about???????? I thought New York sucked ass when it came to emissions (and I don't mean the city)!! If that crap starts up here, I'll friggin flip.

Good idea on killing the motor when you go past the thing... I wonder if they conpensate for that and send you a notice saying they couldn't get a reading, please drive through again sometime in the next 30 days...

A couple years ago, I read about some highway that had automated radar speed traps that could photograph and read your plate if you were speeding. One of them mailed a picture of a guy and a woman that was not his wife to his wife, and the guy sued and had them declared uinlawful and removed or something. Also, check ebay for reflective clear paint you can spray over your plates to make them a big shiny unreadable rectangle for the camera...