Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air cleaner assembly to match an Edelbrock carb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Jul 12, 2004.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I found out a stock air cleaner assembly will not fit on my Edelbrock carb. The fuel line actually hooks up to the top of the carb and holds the assembly off the carb. Anyone have any ideas where I can find an adapter or a different type of assembly? I really do not want to use the ones that leave the filter open and just clamp down on the top of the airfilter due to all the water I run through.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup--the Adapt-A-Brock carb needs an adaptor to fit the stock air cleaner(isnt that a shock--)and they are cheap hard plastic crap that usually cracks the first time you tighten the wingnuts--ask me how I know! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    I have searched for an alternative to those plastic ones at 10 bucks a pop I think I can find a suitable substitute at home depot in the pvc pipe section--or perhaps a short peice of metal ductwork like stovepipe will work,I have model 1405 carb on my truck and so far all I can use for an aircleaner is the open top foam element job,and the foam is rotting away and getting sucked into the motor slowly!,if worse comes to worse I'll weld the base of that aircleaner to a stock 4bbl one--I need to retain the hot air setup for winter use.Seems they put the fuel line right in the way so you cant use the stock air cleaner on purpose,doesnt it.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah I have to make something too.. I put a holley truck avenger on my truck and the stock cleaner will not lay right... now that I am going to hook up my snorkel at some point I do want a tight seal... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not sure if it'll work or not, but go to your local "you-pull-it" type salvage yard and get the spacer from a full size van. Some vans had a spacer between the carb and the filter housing, others were part of the filter housing.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Anyone ever try a spacer off a TBI truck? I think they are about the right diamater and they are made out of metal

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Don't know how perfect you want it to look, but you could use a flat base from a cheap chrome air cleaner assembly. Get a large enough diameter that it will cover the dropped part of the stock assembly. Then you could seal it on good with some JB Weld or something similar. If you paint it up good and put the JB Weld on good and clean I don't think it would look too ghetto.

You can also get a banjo fitting for the fuel line into the carb, then you might be able to clear the stock assembly.

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Diesel4ME- Where do you find the plastic blocks? Wouldn't mind taking a look at them.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Here's a link to air cleaner spacers at Summit Racing.

Don't know if that was what he was talking about for sure. I've used one a couple of times, and didn't have problems with them breaking.

9. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks Scott.

10. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

All you need is to get the Edelbrock 90deg fuel inlet and the stock cleaner will fit...it has a banjo bolt that screws into the carb and the fuel inlet is routed downward and forward... the Edelbrock part cost about $20.00 or you can get a generic brand from Kragen/Pep boys for about $9.00.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    All you need is to get the Edelbrock 90deg fuel inlet and the stock cleaner will fit...it has a banjo bolt that screws into the carb and the fuel inlet is routed downward and forward... the Edelbrock part cost about $20.00 or you can get a generic brand from Kragen/Pep boys for about $9.00.

[/ QUOTE ]Or $3.39 for the spacer in the link a few replies ago. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I made a spacer for mine in about 5 minutes. Took a piece of sheet metal and cut a strip the about 1 1/2 inches wide. Fitted it around the top of the carb to size it and popped two screws in it. Works good for 10 years now. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Dontoe,
    Is your homemade spacer pretty waterproof? How did you seal it around the carb gasket?

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

FYI. curiousity got the better of me so I went out and found my old TBI air cleaner spacer. It fits between a carb (EDL,Holley,Q-jet) and the air cleaner no problem and raises the aircleaner up high enough to clear everything.
    I'm using a A velocity stack for a spacer on my K5.It works better and flows better. Gives more low end.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The spacer I used I got at a swap meet--it was a Mr.Gasket POS--I agree with the other post about making your own out of metal--I searched at home depot,and they have a wide variety of ductwork adaptors that come real close,but not a perfect fit--PVC pipe comes close too,but again,not a perfect tight seal--The people who work there must have thought I was nuts,walking around with a plastic carb spacer and comparing it to anything in the store thar looked like it would work!--I even tried the courragated PVC drain pipe stuff,it fit the best but the "threads" on it make it unsuitable because they spiral upwards,you cant cut it and get a uniform I.D.--You guys will laugh,but the cast iron ring a toilet sits on fit real close--and its got lots of holes you could bolt it to the airleaner with!--they make it in PVC too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    The regular adaptor can be had at any speed shop,but I have no luck with them,must be the climate makes them brittle or something.I had a few factory spacers that were mentioned,but a quadrajet is not the same size as my AFB carb air horn--the edelbrock is about the same as the quadrajet,a hair smaller--the AFB I have is nearly a 1/2 inch smaller than a quadrajet.So far the duct work adapter is the best I can come up with--I'll just grind out the two rivets and close it up a little more and braze it together--at 3.99 its a lot sturdier than plastic,and cheaper too!.