Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air cleaner cover upside down?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Aug 17, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I flipped my air cleaner cover over today so it covers the top of the filter so all the air is filtered but it can suck it in from all the way around and not just thru the tube. My truck is definately louder and more powerful. Does anyone know if its a good idea to keep it like this all the time or is it bad for the engine? Thanks in advance

90K5

2. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

You mean you just took the cover off, and screwed it in upside down??? Is that your stock air cleaner??? I would also like to know if this is a good idea or not.

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] I remember when we used to do that back in High School. Who needs a custom exhaust when you can just flip the air cleaner lid? [​IMG] WHUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Seriously, it isn't going to hurt anything at all. Air cleaner will get dirty faster and that's about it.

[​IMG]
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Don't romp it hard in the mud like that though. You'll soak your air filter and some may even penetrate all the way through. I did it and my filter was brown all the way through. Don't even want to know what got through and sucked it's way into my engine.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

It won't hurt a thing and definatly ads a little oommpphh, like the other guys said keep your filter clean and you'll be fine.

If you say you haven't been stuck you're lying or was it you'll go blind, hmm

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the fast responses. I will just make sure to turn it back around when I go off roading and for inspections. [​IMG]

90K5

7. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

it's a cheap way to go without buying an actual open breather. it's been done for years. but put a better filter in there if your gonna do it. like a k&n.

8. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Not that I have a stock air cleaner anymore but if I did, I'd probably leave it. It's actually getting cooler air by the headlight. By flipping it upside down, you're sucking in hotter air coming from the engine. This is the same theory on those expensive cold air kits they sell. Colder air will give you more power and less detonation. Would make a good case for a real dyno test. Just my .02.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

9. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

I just went and tried it, and I would just like to know, how in the heck did you get your hood closed??

10. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Should be all right, this is what I've done to mine.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you have the "high" air filter, I would think that there may be a conflict flipping it.....Why not just buy a cheapy chrome open breather kit? The local parts place sells them for around 35 bucks.

12. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

Shawn is actually right on the money. You benefit more by the cool air that is taken from the stock location. What I did was cut the front of the intake piece behind the grille and screw a screen to it. That way it is more of a ram effect rather than sucking the air from the side. I am also in the process of turning it into a dual snorkel using two of the same air cleaners and tubes to the intake behind the grille. There are cutouts on both sides of the radiator support for doing this so it will look totally factory. Anyway with the lid up side down all you are doing is sucking the hot air from the engine. Anyone into performance knows this is not good for performance. There is a equation something like for every 10 degree drop in intake temparture there is a percentage of more power. Cooler air is more dense so it is like shoving more air into the engine for free. It may sound better having it up side down which makes you think the truck is faster but if you took it to the track and ran it you would find it wasn't faster. . If you still have the hood insulation under your hood think about having the air cleaner inches away from that sucking all the dust from it over bumps and such. Open your hood and hit the insulation with your hand and you will know why the air cleaner goes to sh** in a hurry this way. Besides that you have your fan sucking the hot air that passes through the radiator to cool it and where do you think all this hot air that passes through the radiator is going? Right into your air cleaner if the lid is flipped. If any of you are into performance cars think about the 87 or so Buick Grand National. Why were they so much faster in 86 and 87 over previous years? Because they added a intercooler to cool the intake charge. If any have experience with these or other turbo cars you will know that the car will run faster on a cool summer night than it would on a hot 90 degree day. What you think is faster ins't always. Testing at a race track will tell you that. So flipping your lid may make it sound faster and maybe you think it is but it isn't doing anything for more speed and isn't doing anything to help the longevity of your engine. If you do testing at the track and find it faster with it flipped then you have a restriction in your intake system that you could benefit from by fixing but not by flipping. Why do you think some of the performance cars came with dual snorkel air cleaners and not open element ones? Car companies are cheap and it would be alot cheaper to put a open element air cleaner on rather than the dual snorkel especially when you are talking thousands of cars. Another thing is look at your air cleaner. It is not just a perfectly flat round lid. They are shaped so the air coming in the regular intake tract is directed into the carb or tbi by the lid. There are tons of facts but its something I would never do anymore and track testing has shown it to not be true in these cases. Not helping in performance (just thinking so) and dirtying my engine just for a better sound? No thank you

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

By useing the cold air you get mory power than with the air cleaner cover fliped over. Just as running a K&N in your stock air cleaner with the air duck in place will give you more power than an open K&N will. Rememeber the Z28, TransAmms, and such with the hoods that worked versus the one that were blocked, the working hood cars were that much faster due to the cold air!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I definitely agree about it being more effective to duct air in using the factory setup instead of just running an open filter. Also, stay away from the mud and water with an open filter as you will either completely plug the filter with mud and water, or even worse, suck water into the engine. I've even seen guys you have had trouble just driving in the run because the water was being splashed into the engine compartment and soaking the filter.

15. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone seen or made a ram-air hood? Like the ones on the newer Trans Ams.

16. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

on my 72 with a bug shield on the front things just set on the hood even at speed! I have been looking at the LT 1 hoods that can be had in steal as the base of the windshiels is a high air point. On my 72 I dont think that the late model ta stuff would look right now a early 70s F body type could be cool I'll have to look!!!!

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

17. moe.

moe. Registered Member

87Blzr, I would have never guessed that somebody on THIS message board would be talking about GN/T's! :)
    I just so happen to be the proud owner of an 87, that I love to death.
    You guys can check it out if you want at this addy: www.members.home.net/turbobri
    These cars are VERY hard to beat as far as bang for the buck on the dragstrip.
    Nice analogy of the intercooled cars vs. the 'hot air' cars.

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

18. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've seen a fiberglass ram air hood that looks really cool on a K5 but it was over $500, I think it was from US Body. I'm thinking of using a cowl induction hood because it will work with my bug deflector. I never thought deflectors really worked until it took mine off, what a difference! My bug deflector forces the air down the windshield and forward across the hood so it should make a cowl induction system work even better than normal. It's kind of strange watching rain water move forward on the hood while I'm doing 60 mph.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

20. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

On the newer K5s. The cold air intake is blocked by the hot air riser assembly(the valve and tube that goes from the air cleaner housing down to the exauhst manifold) this restrists and causes turbulance in the air flow.So a quick fix is to flip the air cleaner cover.
    Here's a better way: To make it breathe better you should drill out the rivets that hold the heat riser valve in and remove it, then cover the hole with sheetmetal and rivit it. then you will have a good breathing cool air system and you wont have to flip the cover. Also put in a K&N filter. You will be pleasantly suprised with the increase in power without the noise. Espically in a TBI truck. Works for me
    89 K5