Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air cleaner for 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dysphemism, Mar 29, 2003.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I want to swap out the air cleaner on my 454. It's one of those billet stylish ones, doesn't really appeal to me. Can someone recommend a good air cleaner setup for a 454 with an 850 holley? Also, the engine has one of those flexi-lite fans on it. Are those any good? I've heard they free up power but do a bad job of cooling. Any opinions?

2. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

flex fans are useless on the trail for cooling. your 454 should not need any more power on the trail unless your towing some body else around...on the trail. air filter k&n air filters are the best imo

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I like the K&N's espically with the x-stream lid. I also really like the GM ones that have CHEVROLET in stampded chrome(on the lid) and put a K&N in it

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Evan, where are you going to run most the time off the road? The type of filter will depend on that some. One way you could go is take a stock type filter can and weld a second tube on it fron another filter can and draw air from the front of the truck. Or somewhere up high if you're running deeper water.

5. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I'm toying around with the idea of a snorkle. If I were to get a K&N could I attach a snorkle to it, or would I have to fashion one? I'll probably stick to mud and mild trails.