Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air cleaner interference

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've long since gotten rid of my factory air cleaner assembly and have been using an open element K&N setup. Thing is that the bottom of the assembly hits a bunch of stuff (vacuum diphragm, choke, distributor), so I have to use an extender/adapter thing to raise it up some. This thing, in turn, interferes with the choke linkage, so I had to gouge away some of the plastic to make it clear. All in all, it's kind of kludgy, although it seems to work okay. Now the plastic adapter thing has cracked, so I'm thinking of starting over again. I'm sure K&N or Edelbrock or someone makes a filter assembly that's not so low and will clear all the stuff, I'm just not sure where to start. Has anyone been down this road and can tell me what works?

2. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, in case anyone else ever finds this thread and wants to know what happened... It was all because I'm an idiot. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The filter assembly I bought last time was for cars with clearance problems and purposely sat low on the carb. I ordered a new filter from Summit (a 11" x 5" K&N /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) and now everything fits perfectly. Looks cool too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif