Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air cleaner on Brian Waddell's Burb?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Feb 12, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I remember BW had a cool air cleaner on his 454 for TTC back in 2001. Anyone know where to get one like that? It was roundish, small and had a single 3-4" round inlet on it. Looked like the perfect cleaner housing for my truggy...

j

2. jekbrown

pic for those of you who don't still have the October of 2001 Fourwheeler mag...

[​IMG]

the blingy lines on top make me think "edelbrock"... but I dunno. I searched Edelbrock and Holley (they built his FI system...) web sites and didn't see anything similar to the cleaner shown above... :thinking:

j

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I think that is actually a K&N part. What I vaguely remember about those is that they were intended for one of two uses, remote mounting an air filter or for use with a blow-thru turbo system.
    Looks like there is a name on the top at the inlet. Maybe your original is good enough to make it out?

If it isn't a K&N part the next possibles that pop into my head are turbo city and Gale Banks.

4. jekbrown

you nailed it dude. I tried scanning the original at high DPI and zooming in to make out the manufacturer logo... because you can see it on the pic I posted. At any rate, zooming didn't help much. It was a small pic in the mag and there was no way to see enough detail. At any rate, I went to K&N filters homepage and found it in the custom plenum section. Funnay thing is, they recommend it for engines under 200HP. Thats a little odd considering it has a 4" inlet on it, and BW ran it on a 500HP 468 BBC. lol! I dunno, maybe they were talking about the filters they make that would work with it. :dunno: At any rate, good call. Here is a better pic from the K&N site...

[​IMG]

the plan is to run this on top of my TBI'd 350. Use a couple of silicone joints and bent 4" exhaust tubing to run the intake through the firewall.... through the cockpit area... and ending somewhere convenient in the back with a shield of some kind to keep water/mud off of it. I'll run the biggest cone style filter I can get, with one of those pre-filter wrap things on it as well. Oughta work good and keep water out of my engine.

I used an online price search gizmo... seems the cheapest new price is at Amazon... $15x.xx + s/h. Not cheap!

j

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Nice find! Too bad it's so much $$$$.

6. jekbrown

yeppers... I'm gonna see if Kert can make something similar for a lot less coin. A plenum like this would be just the ticket for anyone with a offroad rig that wants to make thier air intake system more water/mud resistant.

j

7. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Heck I want one of these for my DD. If Kert comes up with something be sure to have him post it.

8. jekbrown

he will, I'm sure. My last Kert-should-build-it idea was the motor mounts... and he made/sold a ton of them. Hopefully this would work out too. :) I sent him a PM about it...

j

9. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There is a guy in Canada that sells something similar, except it is a dual snorkel setup. Price last year was $100USD. I've seen it advertised for years now in Chevy muscle car mags (not sure which one). He's been making these for awhile. Not sure if they are metal or composite or some sort. Check out some of the muscle car mags and you'll probably find it. Sorry, that's all the info I got on that.

10. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

The place you're talking about is www.ramairbox.com They use a composite(fiberglass) housing around a 14 or 10 inch air cleaner. No where near water proof though. I have the dual snorkel model, but it comes in single as well. I was thinking of doing the inside-cab filter idea with the 10 inch single. After a trip to the yard you can find some close housings on tbi equipped cars, they are just small.

-Alex

11. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

E- Bay!!!!!!!!!!! Look and you will find.

12. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

If Kert comes up with something, I will probaly buy it! I don't think my current setup is very water proof :doah:
    [​IMG]

13. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

Just make an aluminum plate to put in place of that cardboard and hold it in place with sheetmetal screws and caulking. :D

14. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Yea I actually already have a piece of sheetmetal cut to fit perfect, one of these days I will put it on

15. jekbrown

yeah, the 14x4S model shown on their site is sorta what I was thinking... but its also $142 shipped... not exactly cheap... and as you said, they ain't waterproof either. I suppose some kind of caulking or something could make them close to water proof... but with my dumbazz luck a big old hunk of caulk would get sucked into the engine at some point. :confused: The K&N one is a cast 1-piece aluminum unit... doesn't get much more waterproof than that, assuming the gasket between it and the carb does its job. So far, the K&N still seems to be the best option. I looked on ebay a little bit today and didn't find anything like what I am lookin' for.... if any of you ebay addicts have a lead, post up a link.

j

16. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Were it me I'd dump the K&N filter idea. I am far less than impressed with a amount of grit stuck to the inside of my buggy's air filter body. No amount of grease on the rubber or different filter oils will stop it. BT,DT, gave up.
    Not cheep either, but I'd look into the UMP filters or those similar Donaldson's used on earth moving and farm equipment.

17. jekbrown

this thread isn't about filters... in this particular app, the box sitting on top of the carb/TBI doesn't necessarily have a filter inside of it.. and if it does, brand is a seperate issue. Not to go off on a tangent, but I plan on using a summit cone filter w/ a prefilter wrap over that.

j

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hey jek try a tbi air tube set up off of ebay. You get a poly hat with a piece of aluminum tube and a filter for $30 plus shipping, you'll pay just that for a cone filter. just replace the tube with some pvc and your set.

19. jekbrown

I looked on ebay...and found lots of auctions like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-95-Chevy-TBI-305-350-Truck-Air-Intake-System-91-94-9_W0QQitemZ320080078904QQihZ011QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

... this looks like exactly what I want... problem is, I don't think any of these auctions include the actual gizmo that sits on top of the TBI... its just a filter, a piece of tube.. and some silicone tube junction gizmos. :dunno:

anyone know where I can get the gizmo that sits on top of the TBI? the one in the auction looks like just what I am lookin' for...

j

20. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Check out car-parts.com and search for air cleaner/air box. I found one near me for $35.

edit...I think you want the off road air box? That is the top mount gizmo thingy.