Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air cleaner question...not dumb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Craig Artzner, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does anyone know if this air cleaner will fit on a Carter AFB/Edelbrock Performer carburetor? This air cleaner is from a '76 Chevy truck with a Quadrajet. I know the opening is the same size but will the drop base be an issue?

[​IMG]

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

You could look it up at Summit to see if it is listed as a stock replacement. Edlebrock should hve the same info.

3. Craig Artzner

Well, I work at Summit :D, but we don't sell this kind of air cleaner housing. We do have chrome lids for them from K&N though that look pretty good. The air cleaner in the pic is currently on eBay for $20. Maybe I'll just email the seller and ask him how much drop it has... I was just asking if anyone has this combo (AFB/stock cleaner housing) on their truck (fat chance :D ).

4. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

Not to sure, But if I remember correctly, it doesn't fit, I believe you either need a spacer, or am cleaner.

5. badger red

badger red 1/2 ton status

Yes the drop base is an issue. A short spacer will be needed to make it work, especially if the carb has an electric choke. Not sure about the manual choke version.

Jeff

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

I wasn't talking about the air cleaner per se. If the carb is listed as a stock replacement shouldn't that mean the air cleaner should fit?:rolleyes: Or at least have a notation.

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

You work at the summit, the pinnacle, the mount from which all great gifts shower on the humble, toiling away in their modest garages or driveways!?!?!?!:bow: :bow: :bow:

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I have an Edlebrock Performer carb that is a "bolt in" replacement for stock on a 76 K5 and the stock air cleaner (in your pic) does not fit. It needs a spacer, which I haven't found. BTW if you do get that air cleaner and find a spacer that makes it fit right and tight, please post the part number...

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Would something like this work?
    [​IMG]

10. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

I tried to make my stock ait cleaner work w/ the 454, Edelbrock intake and carb. The first obsticle was the choke like previously stated. Then it was hood clearence. The aircleaner housing along with the BB was to tall.

11. Craig Artzner

Update: I got the air cleaner for $15 on eBay. I stripped it, primed it, and repainted it. It will of course need that spacer to make it work on the AFB but I'll pick that up at work Monday...

Paint stripper applied...
    [​IMG]
    Bare metal...
    [​IMG]
    Finished
    [​IMG]

12. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

what do you do at summit?

13. Craig Artzner

Telephone customer service with sales on the side. Been there just over 4 years. Great place to work...

14. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Whilst;) wandering through my local parts store I did see a spacer made by Edelbrock. It was about 1 - 1.5" tall. I looked at it but it didn't have any info on the package on what it fit:mad: Of course there wasn't any reference material close by either to check the part #:mad::mad: