Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Cleaner question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BettyBurb, Feb 3, 2003.

1. BettyBurb

BettyBurb Registered Member

The tube from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner extension is missing on my '88 Suburban. What is the purpose of this tube and how critical is it ??? Should I find a replacement and if so where can I get one.

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

if you mean the metal slinky thing think it's called heat stove pipe or heat riser (not sure) but they sell them at napa

3. jkce457

jkce457 1/2 ton status

The stove pipe takes warm air coming off the exhaust manifold and pipes it in to the intake in order to help the engine run better while it is cold. I have an open element and have eliminated that system completely.

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

I 2nd what jkce457 said.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bo

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If you have to pass a visual smog test, then it's very critical.

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

good point no slinky thingy no pass in california /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I see that you haven't filled in your profile. Knowing your location and the year of your truck would really help me answer your question accurately.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

That said, the purpose of the stovepipe was described above. A little more info-

On the neck of your aircleaner housing you'll see a litle round disc. This is a vacuum-actuated door that diverts either warmed air from your exhaust manifold or cool fresh air from outside the engine bay into your combustion chamber. There is a temp. sensor on the inside of your aircleaner that controls the position of the door by sending vacuum to it when needed.

Basically, when you start your truck, the sensor closes the diverter and warmed air is sent to the carb to help your motor warm up faster. Once a set temperature is reached, the door opens and cool air is sent to the carb. In really warm regions this isn't a big deal, but up in my neck the woods(especially during winter), not having the stovepipe in place will cause hard cold starts and can lead to icing of the carb internals.