Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Cleaner questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Dafey, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Do I need this 1 pipe and the 2 nipples right under it hooked up? They were not hooked up when I bought it...If they need hooked up where do they go?

Also what would be good to use to cover up the hot air riser hole,top and bottom?

[​IMG]

What about this mesh thingy thats inside of the filter...what does it do? And do I need it? Looks like it would slow down the air flow...:confused:

[​IMG]

2. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Anybody???

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I held out on keeping my mesh thingy in there for so long , and finally ripped it out . I don't know if its a flame arrestor or what :dunno:

The two nipples , I don't use those either . Still passes emissions without them in AZ .

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I removed mine too in my old 84 K5. I'm sure it was clogged with crud. I always leave everything else connected.

5. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Ok .. how long have you had it removed? Any problems? Mine looks clogged too,I cant see through it.
    What do the other 3 things connect to?
    Anyone know if I can just plug them up?

6. Kp

Kp 1/2 ton status

My sub had those vac nipples connected to a TVS on the t-stat housing
    Actually, one was connected to the TVS, and the other was connected to the "thermostatic" dealy in the mouth of that air filter housing.
    I think that the idea is that when the engine gets to temp, the TVS pulls vac, and actuates the butterfly in the air filter housing.
    I dont think that mine was hooked up properly tho, because there was no vac source hooked to the TVS. I dont have it hooked up at all now, and it runs fine.
    I'd like to make it right tho, so I'll watch this thread, and see what you find.

7. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah,how did you remove it anyway?It looks like a Bi**h to get off.... :eek1: :doah:

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I don't have it anymore. I sold it in 99, but had it that way for about a year or so. No issues at all. I believe that it is part of a more stricter emmisions group package (cali I believe). I think it may actually be some sort of a charcoal filter, but not sure. Anyway, it made a difference .. and added some "pep" to the K5 when I took i toff.

Mine was stock, and was siliconed in. Just get under the filter with a common screwdriver and start working it around the edge. Don't try to get one section off all at once... but rather work it around making it more and more loose with each pass. Once it's starting to get pretty loose, just start pulling on it.

9. Dafey

Dafey 1/2 ton status

Thanks TXfiremank5 I will try it right now.

Edit: Well I will try it tonight,I was just informed I have some HoneyDo`s to do....