Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AIR CLEANER QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Nov 4, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ok first K&N is about the best right? I alwasys thougt so but I was looking at prices and you pay ALOT for just the base(the filter is alot cheap if you get just the element) So what I was wondering if there any thing specia about it or if you can use the delco base with the k&n element

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I use my original base with the K&N filter.

You can clean your top and flip it upside down. That is where I noticed the biggest improvements.

There is a problem running this when it is hot outside. The engine compartement gets REALLY hot, and the engine pulls in this hot air.

Also, the K&N has been known to let it small deposits of sand and dirt. Don't run the K&N in any Dunes or fine dirt situations. A Toyota member found this out the hard way. He lost his Toy V6 due to fine sand coming into the motor.

He found the sand in the engine oil when he changed the oil. He lost a great deal of compression, and decided to rebuild. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Good luck.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

So what do you do for the find sand a differnt kind of filter? or do you get one of those prefilters that go over the filter? btw I wasent talking about using the factory base but a base like the K&N but mabe my acdelco and has chevrolet stamped in it which i think looks cool

Also has anyone used one of those x-stream lids?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It has been proven that K&amp;Ns do let more particles into the engine, but if you keep it oiled the particles are so small that it doesn't really matter. If you keep the filter oiled and run the oiled foam prefilter then the K&amp;N will be fine in the sand. I've been running one for years in the sand with no problems. I't just a matter of keeping it oiled, I tend to overoil mine if anything, it makes a mess because some of the oil drips onto the engine, but I can be pretty sure that no sand is getting into the engine that way. </font color>

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

So do you run the foam prefilter?

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

So do you run the foam prefilter? And does that prefilter cut down on air flow?

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I do run the oiled foam prefilter, but since I have the largest filter that K&amp;N makes (14"x7" tall), I have way more airflow than I'd ever need so I wouldn't know if it reduces air flow. </font color>

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the foam prefilter?