Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Cleaners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CustomChevy, Sep 25, 2005.

1. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

So I'm getting the feeling my stock ugly aircleaner is choking my engine a little. I dont like the idea of an open aircleaner in a mud truck ... so who makes the best flowing closed air cleaner?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Make one yourself. First step is to yank that big permanent filter part out. Then grab a second air filter housing and graft a second snorkle on it...

I wouldn't do an open element filter either. Too vulnerable IMO, although with snorkled intake it can be worse depending on where the outside airs enters. Some 9most) new vehicles have the intake up front and somewhat low making them prone to hydro-locking.

Rene

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That's what I would do too. It should be pretty easy, and is on my future plans list as well.

Another reason to not use an open element type filter housing is you don't want to suck hot air from under the hood. The engine makes better use of the cool air being drawn in from the fender vs. sucking the hot air in the engine compartment.

Some paper filter advertise that they flow better air than others. Of course there is also the whole K&N debate. It seems like I remember someone posting a list, or test, of paper filter flow rates... maybe a search here, or on google would tunr up something.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I'm running the factory air cleaner off a '84 K5 with a 305. It's 5.5" tall and 14" in diameter and I use a 2 stage foam Amsoil filter. The only modification I made was to cut the "snorkel" off and make a matching hole on the other side for more flow. You could also easily route the intake into the cab, but the noise would be severely annoying.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

FWIW, that isn't a filter. It is an air straightener. It's purpose is to remove turbulent air flow thru the carb or tbi. I would NOT remove it. Think about it this way, some Engineer had a danged good reason to get that part approved by GM's bean counters. Turbulence is good in the combustion chamber, but not in the intake ports.

I use the 3/4t-1t filter can that uses the tall filter element.

A real air filter looks like one of these or these.

Some partially relavent info: http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/index.html

6. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I jerked mine out on my 84 w/ a 305 and it made a noticable difference on power. I guess mine was clogged up with junk over the years.

My vote, would be to pull it.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

X2

Rene

8. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

I was useing a dual snorkel corvette air cleaner. Now I use a nascar style. I had to cut onto the cowel it uses that as the air supply. Nice clean cool air. I even made a bale over it just incase mud or water splashes over the hood.

9. CustomChevy

got a pic of this setup?!?

10. CustomChevy

when you say jerked, you mean to cut off the side snorkle and add another hole on the other side?

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

guess I should throw away my Dana 60 and put a 10 bolt back under my K5 then... ;) :grin:

j

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

13. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ntsqd
    "Think about it this way, some Engineer had a danged good reason to get that part approved by GM's bean counters."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jekbrown
    "guess I should throw away my Dana 60 and put a 10 bolt back under my K5 then..."

nice. :D

Colby Stephens

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

No, the bean counters are why it didn't come with those stock. The engineers couldn't find a good enough reason.

15. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I switched from an open air cleaner to one of the tall factory air cleaners. First time I hit any mud I noticed that the front of the air cleaner housing was covered in mud, so I'm glad I switched.

I did want some more air flow, so I drilled 3 holes about 1" diameter in the lid and I keep them towards the back so the mud can't get in.

16. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

So what's a NASCAR style ???

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think maybe you are mistaking the piece of metal that is tacked in right where the air comes in from the snorkel with the big wire screened filter that is glued to the filter housing.

That filter has charcoal in it, it's all about emissions. Same thing as the EVAP cannister, only it's to try and retain the evaporated fuel from the carb from exiting the air inlet.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Could be, but all two of them that I've looked at were only wire mesh. No charcoal in sight.