Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air Cleaners

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Dec 22, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ok I drive in mostly in the road but I do go offroad quite alot to. I need a high flowing air filter but being in FL all we have is sand. I though about a 14x6 K&N with a K&N foam pre filter but those K&N are EXPENCIVE and Im kinna running low on money righ now and I really need a new filter and I gotta get a new base too. So whats yalls opions?

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Paper cleaners flow pretty good when new and they are cheap. Also, there are lots of K&N clones out there that cost less.

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

paper, easy to replace, and cheap to replace.
    K&N, washable million mile warentee, you simply wash it when it gets dirty, but are you up to it?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Napa Gold Air Filter...made by WIX..good filtration, good flow...and cheap...

Chris

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Here's a cheap trick for ya if you're running low on cash. Just buy some 1/4-20 threaded rod, then stack 2 paper filters on top of each other. Or check out the paper filter that came on some of the GM trucks in the 80's. They're the same diameter as the other ones, but are 5 or 6 inches tall, instead of the standard 2 or3 inches tall. Either will fit in the stock air filter housing, but the lid obviously won't close against the bottom any longer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, make SURE that the new setup will clear before ya slam the hood the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If the new setup is too tall you can dent the hood and bust the carb. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But there's usually lots of room under the hood of our rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif