Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air cleaners?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by paulbunyan, Mar 27, 2003.

1. paulbunyan

paulbunyan Registered Member

I have been running my stock aircleaner and am thinking about switching to a K&N open air filter.I know stock sucks but after seeing the amount of mud that lands on the stock unit I am not sure if an open air filter will work. Do you guys use these in the mud? How much of a power difference do they make?

2. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I don't use a K&N, but I know they also make a complimentary air cleaner lid that has a filter element in it. I usually stuk with Fram filters, and for some things, I used the ACCEL power wrap that goes around the outside of the filter. It can be cleaned and re-oiled whenever it gets nasty. I know most of the top line Air Filt.'s usually can be washed and reoiled.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have an open K&N on my engine and its ok i didn't really notice much difference, but my sub has 160k on it. and yes u can clean K&Ns. i've been in water before and it sucked a little in and the light came on. honestly if i had the time and money i'd get a ram air box for it.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd like to find a shaker hood for the k5 but no luck in looking

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd like to find a shaker hood for the k5 but no luck in looking

[/ QUOTE ]
    i second that. i want one for my truck but i don't think any one mkes one.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't think so either, I don't care so much about the shaking part I just like the very nice functional ram air setup of it.

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I put a used K&N in my blazer and I felt a pretty good increase in power and throttle response (its EFI if that makes any difference). I'm planning on buying a new K&N, cleaning and putting the used one in the project truck. I would say its a good $40 investment. I always used Fram filters before they are good too.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you guys use these in the mud?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I did, once. Don't use an open cleaner in the mud, bad things happen. Still haven't cleaned the one I soaked last month.

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

You won't notice any power increase with the open element because it'll be suckin' in hot air instead of cool air like the stock setup...plus you won't be passing any smog test either.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For a mudder, I think a snorkle would be the best set up.

11. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

the K&N certainly cant hurt. As for mudding, If it is an open type air cleaner or you have your stock cleaner lid flipped for more flow I would strongly suggest some kind of primamry protection to the filter. Like somebody mentioned about the foam thingy that goes over the air filter. I had my air cleaner lid flipped on my 93 Blazer, forgot it was flipped, and went mudding. It didnt ruin anything but it was a pain to clean all mud out of all of the ribs of the air filter.

12. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You won't notice any power increase with the open element because it'll be suckin' in hot air instead of cool air like the stock setup...plus you won't be passing any smog test either.

[/ QUOTE ] wrong in my state. My friends 84 K20 just went through inspection with an open filter and passed with flying colors. His air cleaner assembly has the connectors for the hoses that go to the stock air cleaner. I really want to get a shakerhood but not ram air so it intakes from the back. Get cold air and less mud. Some company should really sell a Shaker hood air box that you can just custom cut your hood to fit.

14. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I put the K&N Aircharger system on mine. it's an open element with new chrome baseplate and lid. Has holes in it to hook up vacuum lines. Didn't notice much power increase but helped the mpg's slightly. They are pricey, over $100, but look around on ebay. I got mine new, shipped and all for around $50. About the same as the filter alone. No smog around here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but it did state on the box for off-road and race use only.