Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Air compresser help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JDNobodi, Apr 6, 2004.

1. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does anyone here work on air compressers? I have a 5 horse Campbell Hausfeld which I just replace the motor on. The compresser runs fine till it start to build pressure then it stuggles to pump. I think it may have a bad check vavle. Do any of you think it could be something else? Like worn reed vavles or wiring too small.
    I would like to get this piece of [darn] working right so I can use my pneumatic tools.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif no clue, sorry...

3. JDNobodi

Maybe I should of posted this the GARAGE. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

Are you using cheap extension cord? could be it. maybe clogged line, shaft going bad. What pressure is it building to.
    Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Good idea, try the garage, Im sure someone can help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

some electric motors are convertible from 110v. to 220v. take the coverplate off & check if & which yours is wired? If it's set-up for 220v. operation but you're running it off a 110v. supply.......there's yer problem.
    Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Duece may have hit on a possible too, undersized or excessive length wiring. 5 horse is pretty good sized. They're offered in "dual-voltage" for the guy that inflates a tire/basketball once a week. Tools require alot more CFM, so if your not wired @ 220v. see if your motors capable of it & run it on 220v instead of 110v. It'll run better & live longer. Compare incorrect wire size to running a 350 on 1/4" fuel line. Hope it helps!

8. JDNobodi

Before I pluged the compresser in, I checked a strange plug in the garage with mutimeter and it was 240 volts. I then bought a plug to match this plug. The motor I put on the compresser can only take 240 volts. I believe it can be wired for counterclockwise rotation or clockwise. I just move into differant house and the plug was already wired in. The plug is about 2ft away from the ciruit braker box. The compresser cord is about 3' long and is pluged straight into the plug. You want me to double check?

9. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

sounds like the elecricals good. yeah, some motors are reversible too (saves inventory) probrbly an older compressor? (meaning not an oil-less) silly question, but you checked oil level? If you have a clamp-on ampmeter, might clamp it around one of the hot leads (not the complete wire, meaning both hots & neutral). fire it up & check amp reading to rating plate on motor. also, there's a SF (service factor)rating on the motor tag. Say your motor runs @ 5 amps, with a SF rating of say 1.25, you can multiply the 5 amps times by the 1.25 SF to get a total amp draw before you get into the danger-zone.
    Are you sure your old motor was bad? May have a problem in the compressor that doesn't appear until it's up to temp. You may have mentioned in your first post, but does comp spinn free by hand with no belt? Also don't overtighten the belt(s). You can get a new 6hp- 60 gallon upright now for less than $400 (sears or lumber yards), oil-less ones are alittle louder though.

10. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

just re-read ur first post, was this a new motor? I'f seen guys use old blower motors for things like bench-grinders, but they aren't designed for that type of load. What's the HP of your motor? Tried to read what my 6-hp had on it motor-wise but it's enclosed. I'd say the motor should be around 1-HP.

11. JDNobodi

I just changed the oil in the compresser before I started it. The motor is brand new motor from Habor Fright tools. I see about getting a clamp-on meter. But I won't get to it till next week. A new compresser is starting to look better.

12. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just changed the oil in the compresser before I started it. The motor is brand new motor from Habor Fright tools. I see about getting a clamp-on meter. But I won't get to it till next week. A new compresser is starting to look better.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I got nothin left (after tryin the ampmeter) Yeah, a new one may be the ticket for no more expensive than they are. Time you pay for a motor & new compressor assy, you've paid for a whole new one.