Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

air compresser motor question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74757685k5, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

my compresser will only turn on when it is empty. if it has pressure in it when it starts it will act like it has resistance and blowes the breaker.

I think the motor has like 2 speeds but only second works.

this is a camblehausfield 20gal 5hp

how can I fix this.

THANX

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

several things...

If it starts ok when its empty,but wont re-start with some pressure still in the tank,it could be the motor getting weak (worn brushes,armature,etc)...another possibility is it may have a valve on the compressor, or its pressure switch, that releases the "head pressure",so the motor wont be straining against air pressure in the cylinder(s) upon start up..also there is a check valve between the pump itself ,and the tank on most compressors..if that fails to hold pressure from flowing back into the pump it will cause much the same thing...usually you'll hear air leaking back into the compressor pump if either valve is leaking or defective..

Oh yeah,not sure about "speeds",most motors only have one used,even if its wired for more,on air compressors..and if the capacitor on the motor used for getting high torque during starting fails,it wont start under load either..

:crazy:

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

how can I test the capacitor. I have both capacitor lookin things off of the motor now

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Here are two ways to test. The link looks like a better way.

http://www.applianceaid.com/micro4.html